1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i just copy a avi to a dvd-r disc?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tiny123, Dec 2, 2004.

1. tiny123

tiny123 Member

hi everyone

ok i just followed the avi to dvd step by step on the afterdawn guides web site and it worked great but with one glitch ....

the file i wanted to change from avi to a dvd was 171 mb when i started and now that ive changed it , it is 1 gb and took 4hours to change into a dvd ..which is ok if i only wanted to do the odd 1 or 2 changes from avi to dvd ,how ever i want to do 30+ different avi clips and put them on a dvd so my dvd player can play them.

im not to worried about the time tho its more of the fact that theres 6 episodes for 1 series and at the rate that the avi change to i can only fit 4 episodes on 1 dvd where i want atleast the 6 as a minimuin

so is there anyway that i can just copy a avi video clip straight to a dvd-r disc with out changing its format so that its 4x the size of the orignal avi...or is there a way to shrink the .vob file that u get from the change from avi to dvd format with out losing lots of quality of the video clip please

thanks in advanced for any help that you can give

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Unfortunatly thats how big the file is going to be. You could shrink it down using NVE but as you stated you would lose quality. You are probably losing a lot of quality now when you convert to DVD. Have you thought about converting to VCD? That would also play in your DVD player and take less time to convert, and be much smaller file size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

3. brobear

brobear Guest

I'll mention some interesting apps and then I'll answer your question. First of all you appear to like compact files. Check out Dr DivX and from VSO you have VSO DivX to DVD to go with it. Then there is the DVDCopy2 app from InterVideo that encodes and records DVD, VCD and SVCD. That's a good recording app, but I haven't used it for VCD or SVCD yet.

Now to answer your question. Yes you can compact DVD files you've created and retain quality. If they are regular DVD video they will load to DVD Shrink. Just use the quality settings and the app works fairly well at around 30 to 40% compression loads. That's something near 7.5GB to a 4.7 disc. BTW a 4.7 disc is only 4.37GB as your PC sees it. Nice number to remember and you don't want to go all the way off the edge, so I wouldn't push it much over 4.3 if that. A lot of my work comes in at 4.2GB.

A better app many of us use for encoding/compacting DVD videos is Rebuilder with CCE Basic. There is a guide here at AD for setting it up and all kinds of threads for help. The only part of the package one has to buy is the CCE BASIC and that's only about $50. So it is a real bargain. A small donation will get you the contributor version of RB, but that is optional. This is betaware with a retail app. It works great and is my application of choice for working with high compression levels when I want good quality. With an 8 GB movie encoded to 4.2GB I see no loss of quality to the eye and that's on a 60" TV.

I have no idea about copying avi straight to DVD. You may want to check with the advanced section if you don't get a good answer here.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

so is there anyway that i can just copy a avi video clip straight to a dvd-r disc with out changing its format so that its 4x the size of the orignal avi...or is there a way to shrink the .vob file that u get from the change from avi to dvd format with out losing lots of quality of the video clip please

You must convert the avi to dvd compliant to burn on DVD.

Try NVE(NeroVisionExpress.) It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

Then instead of writing to DVD with NVE, let NVE send your finished files to your hard drive. Then use a program like shrink, recode, etc. to open your finished NVE files. Let that program do your compressing using high quality settings and your finished product will be on DVD with an excellent picture.

NVE even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you send it to your hard drive(or burn to disc).

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must reinstall it each month and then you are good to go for that month.

Good luck however you decide to go :>)