1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I keep both pc screen (analog) and tv (digital) working?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by chermesh, Dec 4, 2007.

1. chermesh

chermesh Member

Hi,
    My LG 42" LG TV is connected via HDMI to my PC, running windows XP Pro (SP2). My pc's screen is connected via an analog connection.
    1. Is there a way to keep both screens running simultaneously?
    2. If not, can I keep both connected (wired), switching from TV to PC and back? If so, how?

Ran

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

I've been down this road.
    I have an Nvidia based Grafix card and the software setting allows you to use Clone mode which will display the same to both outputs (same resolutions). There is also dual view which allows you to "drag" open windows on your primary display to your secondary display and you can set deifferent resolutions.
    Trouble is, my PC monitor is not widescreen, and does not accept a widescreen resolution such as 1280 x 720 which is the ideal resolution I would use for HDMI ( and don't forget the Tv might not recognise a resolution other than 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 over the HDMI input)
    You could try clone mode and hope that the dislay resolution you would like can be displayed by both screens, or that the resolution your monitor wants, can be displayed over HDMI by your TV.
    If you play PC games you should know that your gfx card is effectively split in two when it drives two displays at the same time so performance will suffer.
    What i finally settled on is to use clone mode over VGA to both displays at a compromised resolution that suits both and if I play a game on either display, I switch to single display mode in the settings and select which display that should be.

3. chermesh

chermesh Member

I'm looking for a way to configure the two displays, TV and PC, seperately. I got a tip that UltraMon offers this option. I checked it, and the application doesn't recognize my TV.
    Is there any other application that has this capability? (or else, am I wrong as far as UltraMon is concerned and this program does have the capability to identify a TV?)