1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i make a .Bin file?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by jinky67, Feb 2, 2005.

1. jinky67

jinky67 Guest

Hi all, first of all, great forum, very helpfull.

Sorry if this is elsewhere but i dont have alot of timee on my hands due to work.

And sorry again if this has been covered elsewhere or should be i another forum, theres so many didnt know where to start, so many !!

One or two things, well two.

*1} First of all, i just found out, thanks to here, that i can easily burn movie files that are Bin/Cue type to cd using nero to watch on my dvd player, i have a poor p3 666 processor and encoding takes ages......... ages.....................ages.
    {*would a faster processer be the answer i presume?}
    Anyway, how do i make the movie files i have on my pc into .bin and also make a .cue so i can burn them onto cd with nero?

Which program? How is it done?
    Is it like encoding,takes time etc, is there not much point with my poor spec?

*2} A quick querie, for a while i could burn an average music album in approx 8mins, now its taking approx 12,mins.Is this like a common problem after use, surely not.What can be causing it to go slower, i dont think ive changed any settings, its pretty straight forward, and ive no othr programs running etc.Any ideas ??

Thanks for any help & advice. Cheers.
    Look forward to hearing from yous.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

A BIN/CUE is just a CD image. So to create a CD image of any file is easy, however it sounds like you want a (S)VCD image, which means converting if your input file is not compliant. For instance if you had a VCD compliant mpg, you can create a BIN/CUE easily and quickly with something like VCDEasy. If you had say an XviD/mp3 avi then you would have to convert to mpg, then author/create the image.

For 2) are you running XP? If so check that the drive is still running DMA and not PIO. Not just DMA if available, actually using DMA.

3. jinky67

jinky67 Guest

Thanks for the reply celtic_d, good name mate.

Thanks for the help, i think i understand now, so basiclly whats happened is, the film i downloaded which was a .bin/cue file had already been encoded into mpeg1 format and then made into a .bin. I thought {was hoping} this was a quicker way to get the films ive downloaded onto cd by making them a bin file,even although most of them are Xvid etc {not vcd compliant} and still have to be encoded to mpeg1 so Vcdeasy etc can understand and make them into bin.That about right?

Which makes me wonder why are the majority films downloaded in already in Xvid/divx and not mpeg, if thats the most popular and easy to use & work with ?

Or am i missing somthing, i find this encoding/different formats?types of files stuff confusing.

Trying to encode a 30min divx was taking me 4hrs, so reckon an average movie would take approx 12/13hrs.
    Now thats with my p3 666/256 ram,im upgrading shortly to a p4 3.2 or athlon 3200. Will the time be greatly reduced, or is this just somthing that takes time and thats that.

Im running XP,my transfer mode was PIO only, im changing it to 'DMA if available',and the current transfer mode is PIO mode, do i change this to DMA? But that was my secondary IDE channel,i take it my burner is on my seconary IDE slot/cable whatever.And my primary IDE channelis already set at 'DMA if available' and current is 'DMA ultra mode 2'.
    Also you wrote..
    'Not just DMA if available, actually using DMA.', i dont see an option for 'DMA only'.

Hope this is all making sense.

Thanks again for any replies. Cheers !

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

What I meant about DMA/PIO is that a drive may be running DMA, but XP will knock it back to PIO if there is too many errors in a certain time frame. So it will be set DMA, but running PIO.

DivX/XviD is more common than (S)VCD's these days as it gives better quality at lower filesizes, plus with standalone hardware players becoming common, you can (most of the time) just burn it as is and play it.

A faster CPU will give faster encoding times. Plus it isn't just a matter of MHz. For instance P4's have SSE2 and P3's don't.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005