1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I make a copy of my 160GB hard drive to a bigger drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by dorian614, May 7, 2007.

1. dorian614

dorian614 Member

I have tried to find tutorials that help explain what I'm asking, but I can't find any that pertain directly to my quesiton... so here it goes.

I have a modded Xbox, works perfect. It has a 160GB hard drive in it with a bunch of Xbox games/emulators/etc.. already on the drive. I now have a 300GB hard drive that is sitting here which I would like to use to replace the 160gb hard drive with. Is there a way to copy everything exactly in tact from my 160gb hard drive to my 300gb hard drive, to where all I will have to do is plug in the 300gb hard drive and have it work just fine, or is this impossible.

Thank you for any help any of you can give me.

2. corn

corn Guest

Yes, just FTP everything from your 160gb drive to your PC. I don't know if you will have space, if you have that many things on it. I have personally never upgraded my HDD, but it sounds like this will work.

However, I don't believe you can format the HDD from your PC, that will take some work.

3. dorian614

dorian614 Member

Well I can actually do it. I have the 300gb hard drive as my second hard drive in my PC right now. My operating system is on my primary drive. All I'd have to do is format it, then start the FTP process from my Xbox to the drive. I just was unsure if that was all there is to it, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of formatting my 300gb hard drive if that wouldn't work.

So can someone confirm that is all I have to do? Just FTP from my 160gb drive to my 300gb drive? If it is, fantastic.

4. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

Well there is more to it than just formatting and copying over. xboxhdm builds all the partitions for you and sets it up to be locked. I would start by building your 300 gig with xboxhdm than go from there with your ftping.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

6. steimy

steimy Active member

it really depends on how your Xbox is modded as to how hard the process is. If you have a softmodded Xbox then the process is a bit more involved. You can follow this guide.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/using-xboxhdm-to-build-an-xbox-hard-drive-t87.html
    Basically you have to FTP the EEPROM to the PC. Also any other files you would like to save, which i would keep to the bare minimum like gamesaves as pretty much everything else, like the programs and dashboards, can be reinstalled in less time with an auto installer disc then it would take to FTP it. Same goes for games. Would take less time to reinstall them with DVD2Xbox then it would to FTP them for use in building the drive. Then you have to place all of the files you want on the new drive in the correct folders in Xboxhdm and build the new one.

If you have a chip the process is simple really.
    1. get Slayer 2.7 from a torrent site and burn to a DVD-R
    2. FTP your game saves to the PC
    3. take out the one drive and put in the new one
    4. use Slayer to format it and install all the programs and dashboards. Then FTP your game saves to the correct folder on the Xbox.
    5. now reinstall your games and your done.