1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Can I Make One File Out Of Several Audio CD's?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by spirittoo, Dec 28, 2014.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

Hilly Ho!!! And Happy Holidays to one and all!!! I have several audio books on cd and it is tiresome to have to get up and change the cd ... is there a way I can put each book on the computer so I can listen to the whole book without interruption? Thanks for reading my post.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah don't see why not,it just depends if there's protections on it,so just rip each cd to its individual files or create a single file of the whole cd,tho it would pay to make the ripper create a playlist if it's capable,try media monkey first.After its al done just use a media player to listen

In no particular order,unless otherwise stated all are free
    media monkey -rip cd
    imgburn - create an iso
    clonecd trial ware
    audiocoder
    fairuse -i think that's the name ?
    audacity
    foobar

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

Thanks ... I found a program called free rip and downloaded to the computer, but I don't know how to get the files in order and make it one file ... so I was able to save the tracks to Realplayer and it has a continuous play so now I can listen without interruption. However it would be nice to know how to put those files together.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

check real player to see if it can do it, or just rip the tracks then if not done automatically number them & custom name each track if required i.e
    1 sam on the beach
    2 pickles
    so long as the number is at the front you can now use imgburn to create an iso (container type format of a cd)

5. Mez

Mez Active member

What I do is rip each CD ( I use DBpowerAmp). I name the first CD 'album name'-01 and name the title album+track+titleresulting in a file name 'album name' +'CD#'+'track#'+'track title'. This sorts sequencially and will likely play in order without a play list, if not create a play list. I have done maybe 100 of these and it works fine for me. Monolithic files often don't work and many audio formats have a time limit for how long an audio file can be. You will have a 8 hr file but most of the file could be silent. The sound dies after a few hrs.

I was cut short on time before I could finish this. LAME mp3 can only hold 2-4 hrs of audio I think wave is good for at least 8 hrs. The problem is the bigger the file the more unwieldy it is to use, at least for me. Many audio books match chapters to tracks making it so much easier to locate a passage. Playing 100 chapters sequentially is easy. You either name the files sequentially or use a play list. I find dealing with 5 hr+ audio files a huge pain in the ass. I always take the time to chop my audible files (aa) into 1 or maybe 2 hr chunks just to avoid dealing with 8 hr files. Audible often cuts a book into 8 hr files. Their player has high quality navigation control so they are usable but I listen to the books on my ipod which doesn't have the same level of control.

Then you can burn a data CD with media monkey. At 40 bit rate you can usually fit an entire book on a CD. They will play in the same order of the burn list. 40 BR is overkill for an audio book. High C is only 2,000 hz which can be faithfully reproduced with a BR of 8. Lame has problems below 40 even if you use average bit rate which handles low bit rates better than VBR or constant BR.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015