1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I put 2 .avi files on a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by iantib, Nov 3, 2004.

1. iantib

iantib Member

Hi,
    I have a film that is split across 2 700mb .avi files. I have a 4.7gb dvd that I would like to put the 2 files on & play it as one. I have winavi. I also have DVDLAB but I'n not that familiar with either product as yet.
    I do know that i could use winavi to create a dvd image & then use dvd lab to burn it including the menu, but that would need 2 dvd disks.
    Is there any way i could write them both to the same disk as there should be plenty of room? (I have alos heard that dvd shrink could be used if required although I havent got this yet). thanks 4 ur help.

2. sal88

sal88 Member

yup i think u shud b able to. this is how i do it, look at bitrate info with avicodec program, convert the file to a dvd mpeg with tmpgenc express using the bitrates found in the avicodec program, once u have the new mpeg files put them in a dvd authoring program, (tmpgenc dvd authorer is fine) burn the files it gives u with nero or another burning prog.

3. krp

krp Member

try www.svcd2dvd.bravehost.com

4. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

easy

encode both files with mainconcept mpeg encoder, then author with tmpegenc dvd author 1.6 - then shrink (it will be too big) and burn with nero

5. iantib

iantib Member

wow you make it sound so easy. I will have a look for the software now as i dont have it and let you know how I get on. Thank you for your help.

6. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

great

let me know how u get on

7. iantib

iantib Member

I have done as you say but when i open tmpgenc it just says "cannot open, or unsupported. the file is a .mpg file. I had no errors in mainconcept.

8. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

ahhh, but what did u encode it to?

9. iantib

iantib Member

When you talk about encoding I am a bit unsure of what to do. I have taken the 2 output files that mainconcept produces (2.mpg files) and tried to use them individually as the video source for tmpgenc, thats when I get the error. My apologies if I am not givving you the correct information but I am new to both these software products so you must feel like your leading a blind man through a maze (no disrespect to the blind intended)

10. iantib

iantib Member

Sorry just found the settings button dohh!!!!!
    The only fields Ithat are visible are below, the others are greyed out.
    I can see the top fiels says mpeg-2 video but its greyed out. the ones that are open & changeable are..... (but I have left them as they are)
    Constant bitrate (CBR)
    Encode mode: non interlaced
    dc component precision: 9 bits
    motion estomate search

11. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

i mean in mainconcept, it usually default set to encode to mpeg 1 - svcd or sum shit (near the bottom) change "output type" to DVD

12. iantib

iantib Member

I may have mislead you, and I think this is why I'm getting confused. In my original question I said that I have 2 .avi files BUT they are 2 .mpg files. I was under the impression that once I had a .mpg file i needed to translate it into DVD format (i.e. Video_ts, .vob, .bup etc). I have nero 6 express & smartcentre & i cannot see how to input anything other than a .vob.
    For avi files I have software called windvd which takes the .avi & produces the .vob's etc.
    p.s. When I make the changes in tmpgenc (i.e dvd) I still get the same error. ("cannot open, or unsupported") when i try and use the .mpg file that mainconcept has produced.
    Note. I did say it was PAL in mainconcept, should i try the same procedure using NTSC instead?

13. gilera

gilera Regular member

In your initial message you said that you have WINavi, if so you can use that programme to join files together,change format to DVD file and burn with NERO.

14. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

[bold]Deep Sigh[/bold] - its too late for this

ok, what you gotta do is follow this procedure ok?

open up the mpeg (first one) in mainconcept mpeg encoder, and at the bottom select

DVD Pal

Program (Video+Audio) Layer 2

and just above those options click on details - the only thing u need to tick on this page is "2 pass encoding"

[bold]then[/bold]

you just open up the resultin mpeg IN tmpegenc DVD Author - and make some vobs :D

hope this clears up your problems..

15. iantib

iantib Member

Listen mate. I have wasted too much of yout time as it is. If you think I'm stupid just dont reply. Dont put silly signt up.
    Its only easy once you know how to do it.
    Thanks for your help.

16. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

huh?

what u mean by that??

i don't think your stupid dude, its just 02:34 here - am knackered, *yawn* :0

17. iantib

iantib Member

In all your previous replies I can see some sort of auto sig that says "ghost shell" but all of us suddon another one has appeared that says "I see stupid people" with my IP address above it.
    I am very greatful for your help but I am not stupid. I just do not understand video authoring concepts.
    I feel a bit like the president of America when he said "more & more of our IMPORTS are coming from foreign countries"

18. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey man chillout ,loners really good at this stuff and i doubt if he'd intentionally be rude to anyone on this forum.

Why not put your own sig up,its relatively easy.

[​IMG]

@ loner: get some sleep loner before you kill yourself.

andmerr

19. iantib

iantib Member

Sorry, he has been very helpful but I would like to know why the other "stupid" box has just appeared?
    Dont get me wrong I am very greatful for all his help.

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

see the head at the end of loners post,Pm him,its better than having spats out in the open.I'm sure he will answer it for you

andmerr