1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I put my Analog cam into a DVD recorder and record onto DVD direct?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by andyloc, May 28, 2004.

1. andyloc

andyloc Member

Hi I have Sony analogue camcorder which is good enough for my needs. I only have a Hauppage WinTV GO! PCI TV card for capture, it only does 320X240.

My question is, I am thinking about getting a DVD recorder settop (I have a PC DVD writer a LG 4040B) like the Toshiba DR1. This DR1 has analogue I/Ps like on the Camcorder.

Can I plug in my camcorder into it and then press record so it captures the analog onto DVD? If so what res does it capture?

If it does this then this will be a killer thing and I will buy it tomorrow.

Also re: my Sony Analogue camcorder a Video 8 CCD-TR425E what resolution does it capture at? in the specs it says 290000 pixels what is this?

cheers
    Andy

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can Plug your Camcorder into a Set Top DVD Recorder and Capture directly to DVD...
    Depending on what DVD Recorder you get there are Probably 3 different Resolutions the DVD recorder will capture to...
    Either 720+480/576-Pal for High Quality or 352+480/576-Pal for medium Quality and 352+240/288-Pal for Low Quality.....
    If your camcorder captures up to 290,000 Pixels then it captures Probably at a Little Under 640+480 cuz 640+480 is 307,200 Pixels.....Cheers

3. andyloc

andyloc Member

thanks for that it says 307000 but effective 290000 so that sounds right thanks (http://www.ciao.co.uk/product.php/pName/Sony_Handycam_CCD_TR425E/TabId/4/Pid/1,5215873,5215922/ProduktId/5601074/subTabId/1)

heres the Tosh I am looking at
    http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...$file/Toshiba D-R1 leaflet aw.pdf?Openelement

how do I know what I will be able to capture at? so if it is the top then it wil be the camcorders max resolution anyway (which is good I take it)

The leads off the Sony are a yellow and red for audio plug which can plug into the front of the Tosh.

This would be a great help to capture as then could take captured footage and edit it straight on my PC.

is this way a good way? does it lose quality? etc any help as I am new to all this
    thanks for the reply
    Andy

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The DVD Recorder will Capture to DVD Compliant Resolutions No matter what your Camcorder captures too because DVD"s Must be in a certain Resolution, The DVD Recorder will resize the Imcomeing Video to the correct DVD resolution...Yes generally the Quality is very good but there are a Few Drawbacks especially if you are going to be editing on your PC like you will have to use a DVD for recording from the DVD recorder and then when you import the files to your PC and edit them you will have to use another DVD to make the Final DVD so if you can try to get a DVD Recorder that will write to DVD+/-RW"s...Plus you can not accurately set the Bitrate on DVD Recorders as they usually only have a 3 or so different Quality settings......well good luck

5. andyloc

andyloc Member

Ah good thanks for that, the DVD settop recoder (Tosh DR1) does DVD-RAM, DVD-R and DVD-RW, my PC DVD recorder is all formats inc DVD-RAM (LG 4040B) so can use a RW or a RAM toi get it onto my PC and editr without the cost of wasting the DVD is that what you were meaning?

re the quality setting you were on about is this for the capture of my analogue? the Tosh has a variable setting, so you can tell it how long prog is and if you want best then it can fit the whole prog on one disk if you want.

does this seem like a good solution for me?
    cheers for your help
    Andy

6. andyloc

andyloc Member

I have just seen the Toshiba Dr1 whixh I was going to buy , but have now also seen the JVC DR-M1, it seems to do exactly the same what is the difference? and which should I get?

cheers