1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I put the subtitles back on

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mcdm, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mcdm

mcdm Guest

After a lot of help I have got on extremely well burning and backing up films, I backed up and burnt Hellboy with no problems and decided to show it to my kids.
    The picture quality was excellent but half way through my kids were moaning that the subtitles were missing. (The part with the talking skeleton) I knew that my kids had previously seen the film at the cinema but I hadn’t
    Now they want me to burn it again but leave the subtitles in but I can't remember how to leave them on, without some help I am reluctant to alter any settings as it took me long enough to get them right
    Anybody got any advice or help?
    mcdm

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Which burning software are you using?

3. mcdm

mcdm Guest

I use shrink and Nero

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you had kept everything, the subtitle(s) should be there. Did you reauthor the movie (e.g. deleted the subtitiles or the menu)?

5. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Now we are getting somewhere, after using shrink the compression rate was low approx 50-60%so I picked main movie only. Is this where I went wrong? thanks for the help

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

When you reauthor, and after you have selected the main movie (shown on the left window), click the box 'compression settings'. Here you can adjust the compression settings for each item that you have selected and also choose whether or not to keep all audios and/or subtitles.

7. mcdm

mcdm Guest

I didn’t click re author when I start shrink and it has gone through its process the window on the left automatically opens up and I see the folders (dvd) (main movie) (extras)
    So I just clicked on main move compression rate went up to about 75% and I burnt it
    Maybe I should add the extras I will try again tonight
    Thanks for your help

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

You may keep the menu and the main movie but drop the extras.

9. mcdm

mcdm Guest

scf_au
    Well it seems that if after shrink does its analysis I can choose DVD, main move, extras
    If I decide that the compression rate is not very good when choosing DVD, I then choose main movie and I don’t have a problem burning the movie but it seems that the subtitles are not included.
    If however I choose re author and pick the main movie the subtitles are included
    By subtitles I mean if there is some non English dialogue in the film (like when the in the film the MUMMY the mummy asks what year is this?)
    So I think there is a lesson to be learned that if there is dialogue in the film you want be careful when burning.
    I hope that other newbie’s who want the subtitle dialogue read this and take note
    Thanks for your help

10. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Yes, there are also little boxes to pick from at the reauthor screen.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005