1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I see an Xbox DVD contents with a PC?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by DougerX, Feb 25, 2003.

1. DougerX

DougerX Member

Is there a way I can see an Xbox DVD contents with a PC, besides using a MOD chip an looking through the network? Is there not some program that can read the DVD data tract as well as the DVD video? I would suppose some program should be able to do this but my searches have not resulted with any candidates so I am asking here.....

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Pal0r

Pal0r Guest

Its my understanding that pc dvdrom drives are unable to read xbox dvd's. You have to network your xbox/pc to view the contents ( or use boxplorer for example ).

3. DougerX

DougerX Member

People are replacing Xbox DVD's with normal PC DVD readers right? So it is not the hardware that can't read the DVD it is the software, correct? So I would guess some programmming guru could figure it out? I suppose Micro$oft has copywrited protected methods of reading the dvd contents but since people MOD some one might figure out how to read an XBOX DVD someday I guess? If anyone knows how to now thought please post and let me know!

Doug

4. hoppers

hoppers Regular member

to use a regular dvd drive in the xbox, you also need to have the origional drive installed, with a genuine xbox dvd in it. (have to leave the case open, its very messy)

its all ti do with the yellow bunch of wires going into the back of the drive.

so it is a hardware thing, and while there might be a software solution to the problem, i doubt it..

Sorry!!!

5. DougerX

DougerX Member

Oh? I didn't know this hmmm I was thinking a Mod would be how I would have to fix my Xbox if the DVD ever went bad, maybe I should have forked the $67.00 Microsoft wanted the other day for a 3 year warranty. Normally I find extended warranties to be a waste of money because I can fix most things my self or replace them for what the warranty costs but now I am not sure hmmm. How do you feel about the xbox extended Warranty purchase?

6. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

who needs a warranty?

we're modders.. hehehe..
    by definition warranties seem like a contradiction to modding..

peace
    seamonkey420

oh yea, pc drives will not read xbox games. xbox games are read from teh outside of the disk in, so it is a hardware and software thing..
    you can network into your xbox with a mod chip and then copy teh games to your pc and then make an xbox image file and burn that to a blank dvd and have a nice backup...

7. pjclark1

pjclark1 Member

put a pc dvd rom in your xbox
    and you will not be able to play original
    xbox dvds!

8. coreydj

coreydj Member

don't scream at me, i can't find a forum for it and i'm sure one of will either help me or laugh. if i network the xbox then could i back up my fav game original ghost recon to a dvdr?

9. whassup

whassup Regular member

But a DVD-R is burned in to out. So... why should a DVD-R backup even work in the Xbox drive?

(Sorry, total n00b to the mod scene.)

10. coreydj

coreydj Member

maybe i wrote it wrong or somebody not reading correctly. a pc drive won't read it but IF IT'S ON A NETWORK YOU WOULD BE READING THE XBOX DRIVE NOT THE [bold]PC DRIVE[/bold]
    now if i'm still of center the use quotes and it will be like water on a ducks back

11. jaylog

jaylog Member

Good point.

Here is the answer for it.

When you backup game from xbox through network on to pc, you will copy the conent to the pc. Once this is done, you need to use specific software to make an image. I am under the impression that this software creates the image in such a way its starts from outside to inside (in DVD).

Then you use any burning software to burn the image to HDD. This will burn the image as is, which will make it possible to read from xbox.

Since xcraction image creating software is able to create in the format suitable for xbox. I one of the programing guru's will be able to come up with a software which can read image using standard dvd in PC.

12. coreydj

coreydj Member

what would the software would be and where can i purchase it. don't tellme i need a mod chip...if so what is the best one. and if a guru is available help a xbox dummy out. thanx

13. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup...

1. yes, you do need a mod chip. if there was a way without having one, i think we'd all be doing that...

2. you need these programs and hardware(or these are the ones that i use)

-mod chip (xecutioner or matrix or whatever's out now)
    -crossover network cable and network card or network card and router/switch and normal network cable (gotta have your xbox networked to make backups and to read the contents of a game on your pc)

-bios for the mod chip (evox or xcutioner, this lets the xbox read unsigned code, aka homebrew programs and backup games)

-evolution x dashboard (this goes on your xbox's hd or can be booted via a cd-rw boot disk, this is basically like your operating system for the modded xbox)

-FlashFXP or any FTP client (flashfxp is the recommended ftp program for ftping into your modded xbox, need this to see your xbox's hd and dvd drive)
    -isomaker/xcreation/xiso, these are xbox image creating programs, lets you make an image file to burn to dvd or cd so the xbox can read it

-nero burn or stomp recordnow max, needed to burn xbox image file to dvd or cd, you can use other programs, they just need to be able to open iso files and burn them..

and finally, you need to just read the forums here and search them.. if you have ?s, drop a note and someone will reply to it...

good luck,hope you decide to join the dark side and get a mod chip..
    peace
    seamonkey420

14. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Seamonkey RULES! Got to love his tutorials! They are the best!

15. Piggy

Piggy Member

SeaMonkey...

You seem to be a man or woman with much xbox experience, and as such I am wondering if you can help?

I would like to copy the music tracks from Need for Speed Underground, however the tracks are in a format, .lzc, and I cannot play these like a .wav file.

Do you know of any way to copy the music tracks from an xbox game, and convert to a format like .wav or mp3, so I can burn to CD, and play in my car?

Thanks in advance,
    Piggy ;-)

16. coreydj

coreydj Member

thanx seamonkey

that's the best info anyone has given in a long time

17. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Yes you can read a already backed up game in your PC DVD drive. Provided you burned it correctly

Matt

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  18. shady_uk

shady_uk Guest

hey , im new to copying xbox games so forgive me if i state the obvious. but am i right that in order to be able to copy xbox games then i nead to link my xbox up to my pc from which i am able to copt the files to create an image which can be burned and used on my chipped (modded) xbox? but that i can not directly read xbox disks using my computer? and so if i network my xbox and pc then im able to copy the file?
    Hope someone can help

19. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

-piggy
    this forum might be of interest to you... its referring to the pc version of teh game but there might be similarities that might be of use..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8637021~mode=flat

otherwise, you could do this the old school way and just hook up your audio outs on your xbox to your pc's line-in and then record the songs on your computer in .wav format and encode them to mp3 yourself.. (you can do this with any sound/audio coming from a source that has rca outputs.. might need to get a mini stereo to rca adapter ($8 at radioshack)

kind of funny though with all of the protection measures the industry is trying to put on cds when you can always make copies by doing this old fashioned way.. HAHAA, in your face you greedy b@$tards!!!

-shaddy..
    yea, you need to network your xbox to see games and to be able to make backups.. but you also need that mod chip so you can run evolution x on your xbox (this is the ftp client that lets you read the xbox's contents and so on.. and is a basic o/s)

peace
    seamonkey420

20. shady_uk

shady_uk Guest

hey thanks so much for the help where can i get this evolution x from?? also woul Xcommando be any good as that looks usefull too:S