1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn an mp3 player into a portable drive?

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by Bai11, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Bai11

Bai11 Member

I would like to know how to change my mp3 player into a portable drive, in the sense of a thumb drive, but with a wire necessary to connect it to the computer of course. my main obstacle is getting the computer to assign the thing a drive letter, not just as a media player. it's an 18 gig Creative Zen Touch, and after about two years the buttons have gone kaput and i have a replacement mp3, however, i thought this would be a good way to revive the working memory of it.

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I don't see why not. Can you already access it though 'My Computer' when connected to the PC?
    I use my old Ipod Nano 3rd Gen for music and to store/backup files via usb without having to convert/format anything.

You could maybe change the AutoPlay so that you can have to option to view it as a folder and so that the computer views it as a drive.

Go to My Computer, right click on the device, go to properties, go to the AutoPlay Tab, under the content type (the dropdown arrow at the very top), click on the arrow and select Mixed Content.

Then under Actions, you can either select "Prompt me each time to choose and action", or "select an action to perform", and you can select "Open folder to view files using windows explorer", so that you can automatically view files in the drive whenever it is connect. Either option should work fine.