1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. lockettb

lockettb Member

hi thanks for the reply i was just tryingto hook my ipod touch up to for my car but thats the only data sheet i could find.
    ive just opend up another screen that i had and i cant find a make its got pyle on the front but dont think tey made it.
    it has cog 7" driver board printed on the board.
    in this one the input connections are labeled as follows;
    r
    g
    b
    sync
    5vot
    disp*
    u/d
    tint
    col
    cont
    bri
    5 vin*
    r+5v
    pwr
    scl*
    sda*
    v in*
    sgnd
    rem
    pgnd*
    +12v*

the ones with * have a connection from previous use
    but i want connect really just a composite video lead or a s-video
    any help is appreciated
    many thanks
    ben

2. vinzul

vinzul Guest

it has been a few times...the voltage is handle buy other devises that you would need to add to it

I think the best way of doing this is to take the laptop screen out with the ribbon and then the laptop video card.. if you don't have built in video.

power the laptop and video card with the correct power.

laptop cards are usually pcmi you would just need a adapter or make one from parts at radio shack. drivers should be easy to find as you would just use the laptop models drivers.

this is all based on cretin laptops not all...as older ones will share video with ram even some newer cheap ones.

3. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

something slightly different...

I have noticed that several mini-ITX mainboards have LVDS connectors on board these days (or LVDS can be added via an add-on module).

Has anyone tried to connect a laptop panel to one of these? Does that work?

4. squeakh21

squeakh21 Member

is it possible to use the lcd with an xbox 360 if you have a vga video out for the 360?

5. arkroan

arkroan Member

Hello people,

I am trying to give this project a shot. I have gone through most of the threads and posts and I have managed to understand some things.

I have a Toshiba LTM12C283 TFT (12.1 inch) from a Toshiba Satelite S2750.

I have looked almost everywhere and cannot find a datasheet for this. The only thing I have found is this pinout but it is not helpfull.
    My LCD has a 50pin connector which I am trying to map.

I was hoping to find something like this.

Does anyone has the datasheet for this particular lcd? It would be a great help!

6. suicdman

suicdman Member

After reading the entire post a few times and reading many others I see that there is a problem with getting controllers. I have dismantled an old lcd computer monitor for some investigation into this. I have a samsung lcd monitor that supports 1280x1024 and was wondering if you could just change out the lcd panel with another higher resolution samsung panel? This would help me out but i'm not sure if the controller would allow this or if the controller is programmed for a specific panel. I think that it would work because since these controllers are mass produced the must support more than 1 panel. Just my theory, hopefully someone can give me some good news.

7. Kniivin

Kniivin Member

Don't know if its the right place for this question but here I go,

I have an old iBook G3 12".
    The problem is that the backlight "powersupply" on the logicboard doesn't work (I know the display/inverter/backlight works, tried it on another ibook).

So I was wondering, could I take power from another place for the backlight?. from the DC board perhaps??
    Anybody know the specs for the backlight inverter? voltages etc..

Any help would be nice!
    Thanks!

8. JOSIZARKO

JOSIZARKO Member

9. JOSIZARKO

JOSIZARKO Member

sorry y new here....
    I have a project very silmilar like you... but mi lcd is an a LP133X7-A2, from a Compac Presario....
    Mi great problem is that i dont know how to find the components we need to go end mi project.
    If you can help me please mailme
    Sorry for my bad english,
    I am chilean, and native lenguage is spanish.
    You need something like a photo, i send next.

10. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

As far as I know the problem is still getting the converter boards.
    Has anyone found a new source in the meantime?

Also, has anyone tried connecting a laptop LCD panel to a micro-ITX board with LVDS interface? Does that work?

11. acisfoxx

acisfoxx Member

Ok, after a year or two of recieving these emails, and more or less ignoring them, i'm back to state that No, for the most part, You cannot turn a LCD from any old laptop into a standard LCD display for a PC.
    To start with, most LCDs in laptops are vendor specific, you might be able to swap a 15" from an A30 IBM into a 15" IBM T43, and a few others, but if you go and take a 15" panel from say a dell laptop and toss it in the T43, it won't work correctly. Electrically, it will work, and it might even display something on the screen, but it won't work properly. Why? Well the LCDs are kind of expected to be used only in a certain machine, and thus, they leave a number of parts out of the mix that are needed for driving the LCD panels. So short of going and desoldering and jerry-rigging something up from the graphics adaptor in the laptop, you simply cannot cheaply make yourself a desktop display out of an old laptop.
    I've spent the past two years learning thousands of little things about modern technology, and I can safely state that unless you happen to have a busted old 15" desktop LCD, and happen to find a panel in an laptop that uses the same connectors as the broken LCD, your not going to be doing this project any cheaper than going to the store and shelling out the ~$300 for a 22" Modern LCD with the Proper driverboard, power supply and a nice casing. Its even cheaper, if space isn't a concern, to go to a garage sale and pick up an old 21" CRT, take it home, and set the refresh rate to ~70-85Hz and than properly adjust the image to fit, and the colors as well. For that, you can find hundreds of helpful little tutorials on google. Hope that settles this question for anymore people wondering.

~bluefoxx~

EDIT: for anyone still interested at all, there is probably some standard between LCD panels from laptops, but theres so many different variants out there that its hardly worth it. Props to anyone who is determined enough to make it work and build some kind of steampunk-esq machine though

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  12. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

yes, but there are those of us who have actually done it already ... ;-)

with the help of that nice little converter board that someone sold on ebay (but unfortunately doesn't sell anymore).

But to be honest, TFT monitors are so cheap these days, it's hardly worth it anymore. It's more about the challenge of the project itself and the concious that I re-used something and not thrown it away and bought a new one (environmental concerns) ;-)

13. cecshab

cecshab Member

I find a new source, only $70 US dollar with a very nice DVI to LVDS board support 1920X1200. I used it together with the 1U server case made a core i7 notebook last month. It is 58mm thick. with a 17" 1920X1200 Notebook screen (samsung).
    But this source require chinese reading. And for screen other than samsung, they may not have the driver. To programme the driver u may need to dilver your screen to them.

14. JOSIZARKO

JOSIZARKO Member

15. jtc2369

jtc2369 Member

okay i havent had a chance to read the entire thread yet so I apologize in advance if it has but I recently replaced my 10 yr ld toshiba satellite pro with the new model of the same comp and since there is nothing wrong with the screen from my old computer would like to do some modding for dual display purposes and would love any feed back I could get on the process involved I know it can be done and even know a couple of sure fire ways to do it but would prefer to be able to wire it up so that it can be connected or desconnected at will if you know how or have done anything similar I would appreciate as detailed a respoce as possible I went to Itt for 2 years and have built severla gaming desktops and even built a couple of laptops over the years so im not completely ignorant of whats going to be involved but some of you guys seem to have way more expperiance and your insight would be greatly appreciated thanx

16. JOSIZARKO

JOSIZARKO Member

17. jtc2369

jtc2369 Member

that controller pic actually seems to be a great piece and would solve all the problems that the majority of the posters on this thread have had but for the purposes of my project would make things more complicated than they have to be you see I want to make a dual display for my new laptop although lcd screens are by nature high deff you can buy a high deff flat screen tv that has vga inputs built into it now at reasonable prices and the picture is far superior but im looking to maitain the mobility of the laptop and expand its screalso en because of this there should be a way to do this without having to adapt the signal 3 or for times before it makes the transfer from laptop to the secondary screen the easiest way to do this would obviously be to simply open the back of your laptop and sodder/hardwire the 2nd monitor up to the factory display and then build some sort of hinging system that woul allow the 2nd monitor to by collapsed and carried along however however that is a permanent solution to the issue and I would like to be able to unplug the 2nd screen at will for those of you that are interested hackaday has a very informative article on a method of completing this project for under 50 dollars but he retains the use of the motherboard from the laptop he used and in effect just mods it into a tablet pc then uses a cheap computer networking program to view display feeds from his computer onto the tablet pc it works but once again is far more complicated than the project I have in mind anyway the 2nd link that you posted dindt work im still researching and will of course post a how to when I solve the prolem but would greatly appreciate any sugestions or ideas that anyone might have thanx

18. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

first of all, the previous link works if you remove the comma at the end.

Then, you can't just solder the 2nd screen onto the laptop mainboard because the connector there is not dual screen. At best you would get a clone of the primary screen. More likely you'll destroy the mainboard in the process (unless you have lots of experience in SMD soldering.

You'd have to use the laptop's external VGA or DVI connector and for that you need a controller that converts VGA or DVI into LVDS for the panel.

19. da23ad

da23ad Member

Hi guys ,
    it's my first post here....
    I havent read all the messages of this topic but most of them tho ...

I currently have a Toshiba M200 tablet PC (12" screen) and I'm into drawing and animation .... Of course I cant afford the price of a Wacom Cintiq tablet ... And I was wondering if I could either :

1- use the screen of my toshiba M200 tablet pc with one of these LCD controller to create my own Wacom Cintiq-like tablet ?

2- use a Toshiba Tecra M4 14.1" screen and do the same thing

3- or use a normal laptop 15" screen and stick it to a 15" Wacom tablet to create my own 15" Cintiq-like tablet

I'm talking about Toshiba M200 and Toshiba Tecra M4 because both of them have an integrated wacom tablet behind their screen which allow ppl to draw on the screen directly ... But these laptops have low performances , so I'ld rather use their screen as a stand alone display-tablet ....

One last question , can this link ( http://www.spectrah.com/product/lcd_controller_board_arv_1700/arv_1700.htm ) provide me the controller required to turn a laptop screen into a desktop one ???

Thanks a lot in advance ppl !

20. da23ad

da23ad Member