1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Thanks a lot for that link da23ad !!!

I've just has a nice and friendly chat with that seller.

The same seller also has converters with 15 pin D-sub VGA input for US$60 plus shipping:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110384732054&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

On request the seller can also deliver the same controllers with both VGA and DVI input for US$70 plus shipping (not listed on ebay). I have just ordered 2 of these for my remaining 2 panels.

Finally, after about 3 years I can put these other 2 panels to some good use... ;-)

I hope this helps some of you who are looking for the controllers.

2. redpanda7

redpanda7 Member

I've returned after more than 2 years, work related absence. I've come back to this project again. I had all the parts but now have assembled them together. Unfortunatley it isn't working. I need some guidence on where I'm making an error.

When plugged in the board indicates a red light, when i put a signal through it using the supplied VGA cable the light goes green. The flat panel itself doesn't light up when powered. I doubt the panel is to blame. perhaps a power problem?

here are the images of what i have so far. Both images are high res so you can see where the connections are going.
    http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1497/dsc05910.jpg
    http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8176/dsc05911.jpg

3. da23ad

da23ad Member

Everything seems to be connected properly ... I guess your panel doesnt work ...
    Or try to choose different source with the menu button (near the power button on the kit)

4. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi redpanda7,
    on the first picture it isn't quite clear how the backlight cable is connected to the inverter board. There appear to be 4 cables on the connector - 2 on the plug and 2 soldered onto the connector. Where do the 2 soldered cables go? They seem to be going underneath the controller board. Can you take another picture that shows these clearly?

I had a similar problem when I first tried this. I connected the 2 cables for the backlight the wrong way round. Apparenltly they need a certain polarity.

When you give a video signal to the board and look at the panel from different angles, do you see the actual picture very weakly? If so, then it's just the backlight that is not working.

Chris

5. redpanda7

redpanda7 Member

my controller card doesn't seem to have blue screen options. the listed buttons are limited to "menu", "minus", "plus", "enter" and "power".

Does anyone have a similar controller card to me?

6. da23ad

da23ad Member

your controller is pretty much similar to mine ... I havent talked about any blue screen ... I talked about the MENU button ... click on it and see if you can select the SOURCE ... On mine I could select DVI , VGA , TV ...etc... As I've connected it to my VGA out I chose the VGA source on my screen ....

But maybe you plugged a connector the wrong way ...

7. redpanda7

redpanda7 Member

I really appreciate the replies so far.

The two wires that are connected to the power inverter and seem to go underneath the controller card are soldered on by me. I tried to connect a different board that didn't have the power pins.

here is a new shot of the whole thing. i took off those wires now.
    http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3761/dsc05914.jpg

as for the power connector i've tried both ways and one way seems to fit deeper and more snug than the other.

I have also realised that the orignal tft panel cable has different connectors to what was supplied with the controller card. i doubt it makes a difference but here is a pic of that, just in case.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8910/dsc05917.jpg
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/839/dsc05919.jpg

If i press the "menu" button nothing appears on the screen. even when connected to a computer vga I don't get a dim image or anything, it's completely blank. could be a dud panel (again?).

8. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

I just noticed something. On the controler board there is a jumper for 3.3 or 5 volt. Yours is set to 3.3 volt. I have a similar panel (LTN141x4) and mine is set to 5V. Maybe give that a go.

9. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

hi redpanda7, have you got your panel working in the meantime?

10. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

YAY! my 2 panels are working !!!
    Picture here:
    img_1570.jpg

11. redpanda7

redpanda7 Member

i'm afraid my panel/controller isn't working. i'm not sure where the problem is. I have tried to find the 5v pin/jumper but i'm unable to locate that. seems like i'm at a deadend for now.

12. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi redpanda7. I've pointed out the location of the jumper on your controller. see here

But come to think of it, I think the backlight should come on anyway. But give it a go on the 5V setting.

13. luly

luly Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  14. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

I just finished the stand for the monitor...
    I have now a dual panel monitor.. ;-))
    Pictures here

15. curtis69

curtis69 Member

Nice work yesyesuk!!

I have a 15" Powerbook LCD that I'd like to mount inside a roadcase - there are depth space restrictions, for this purpose there's no other LCD monitor commercially made that will work. What controller card are you using, where can I get it, and has anyone else been able to make a Powerbook LCD work?

Would love any info!

Thanks

16. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi curtis69!
    I got the controller off ebay here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110384732054&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
    There is also a version of the controller that has VGA and DVI input for a few quid more. That's the one (or two) I bought. Ask the seller if your panel is supported before you buy. You need the exact model of the panel for that.

I believe that the seller has also joined this thread a few posts back. Luly, you are the seller on ebay, right? ;)

17. luly

luly Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  18. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

YesYesUK, you did a real nice job, it looks great! now just find a picture frame to go around it and it will look even better. I was thinking if you used a 2 way mirror to cover it when it was off it would be a mirror, and when on it would be a Monitor. (kinda like the little LCD's in the rearview mirrors out now.)

aw heck, who cares you did a good job!!

19. redpanda7

redpanda7 Member

hi yesyesuk, I'm not at home for the moment, but I'll try what you've suggested within the next 7 days. I'll report back if that helped. But I'm hoping it works. Thanks for your help.

20. TheMavrik

TheMavrik Member

Hey guys! I am also trying to convert an old LCD into a monitor. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-Z1VAP and I have removed the LCD display and I don't know where to go from there!
    There is (1) connector coming from the Display, and the connector has (40) holes, (32) of which have wires connected.

It looks like this: |::::::::::::::::::::|

There is also a black wire which I am assuming is a ground wire of some type.

I don't know much about this but I am willing to follow any instructions to get this accomplished.