1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

first thing you need to find out is the model of the panel you have...
    any model numbers on stickers on the back?
    take a few pics of the panel and post them here...

2. TheMavrik

TheMavrik Member

Ok, the back has a couple of numbers:

LTD141EMIX
    NRL75-DEM1X121
    F3I0853N 6341

I don't have my camera on me so I will post pictures later today or tomorrow.

3. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

hmmm, the model number seems to be LTD141EMIX and it appears to be a Toshiba panel. But I couldn't find much more than that.

If you want to use the panel as a PC monitor, you'll need a controller board like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110398926263

Or if you want to use it as a TV, you'll need this kit:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120430522398

Ask the seller if the kit supports your panel.
    Then, when you have the kit, you'll just need to connect the cables and off you go...

4. TheMavrik

TheMavrik Member

Thanks! I asked the seller so I am just waiting for a response now.

5. curtis69

curtis69 Member

No go here, seems like I've wasted my money on this board. I tried it with the Apple Powerbook 15" display, and nothing. Tried all 3 voltages, nothing. Guess these just don't work.

6. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

curtis69, don't give up so quickly. I've built 3 of those so far and they all work.

How far did you get with this? What is happening exactly?
    Can you post some pictures of how you have wired this up?

If the actual panel is indeed not broken, then we'll get this running...

You say the panel is from a Powerbook. Do you know if the panel has been working fine before you took it out?

Did you give the seller the exact model number of the panel? The seller programs these controller boards specifically for each panel model. They will most likely not work with other panels.

7. jp128

jp128 Member

Ok yesyesyuk. I read a lot of posts. I have this lcd panel from a Dell Latitude and would like to make it VGA compatible. The back of the LCD says: LP141XB (c1) 14.1" XGA c4. What controller should I get for this?..? thanks!!

8. jp128

jp128 Member

also, there are 60 pins on the little hookup thing that comes from the lcd panel and into the mobo. 30 on each side.

9. jp128

jp128 Member

actually. where the actual cord goes to the lcd display, there is a 20 pin plug in. is that what i am looking for?

10. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi,
    you don't need to worry about the pins for now. Just go to the following ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120444549033
    There click the link to ask the seller a questions, provide the exact model number of your panel and ask if that panel is supported with that controller kit.
    If it is and you order the kit, you will get the correct cable for your panel. Then all you need to do is to connect the cables and there you go.
    That is if the panel you have is actually still working...

11. jp128

jp128 Member

12. jp128

jp128 Member

the panel is still working, i have tested it with the original laptop. the laptop is a piece of ***. but we don't need to talk about that. Thank you so much for the fast replies! I am amazed to be honest! ;)

Also, is there a place i could buy this in the USA?

13. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Not sure if you can buy this in the US locally (I'm in the UK) but the seller on ebay ships worldwide AFAIK (in fact the listing is in US dollars so I assume they will ship to the US).
    I remember (from when no converters were available on ebay) that there were a few offers for these converters on other websites from the US from companies who deal in embedded and industrial computers but these were so expensive (around US$200) that it was much more economical to buy a new flatscreen monitor. ;-)
    But of course you can have a look around. There were a few links a few pages back in this thread.

This has got to be the longest running thread on any forum ;-)

14. jp128

jp128 Member

Lol it definitely is the longest running thread. I think the first page was in 2005?! Wow! I am just glad its still active and there are people like you that can help me out! I am getting into electronics (freshman in college now), and have been building computers/websites/programming, and now I want to learn electronics. If I can get this display to work properly, then I will make it a touch screen and embed it into the side of my computer, (custom as well). But again, thank you for your help.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  15. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

hehehe, yeah, I had the idea as well to make it touchscreen. I wanted to install the display next to the bath tub instead of a few tiles and have a touchscreen music centre for the bath. But the touchscreen kits are really expensive and I haven't seen any for 14" panels. On top of that bath room and electricity don't go together very well.

16. jp128

jp128 Member

Even with my novice electrical knowledge I am familiar that water does not go well with electricity. Haha! Well, not novice any more. 3 years in high school. But that bathroom thing would be amazing! Do you have an msn/aim/yahoo? it'd be much easier to talk heh

17. jp128

jp128 Member

plus i have more questions. haha, and they dont all relate to this thread.. if you dont mind to talk that is.. :)

18. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

you should have received a PM .. ;)

19. jp128

jp128 Member

ok, added you :D

20. harie11

harie11 Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009