1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. luly

luly Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  2. hamid85

hamid85 Guest

3. hamid85

hamid85 Guest

4. frodofin

frodofin Member

hallo

so, i have read the thread, and i will give it a try, cause my notebook LCD good and i dont want to waste it (http://www.notebookcheck.com/laptop/content/view/454/65/)

i removed the LCD from my notebook and awayting the correct model number from Gericom (i dont want to open the LCD lid)

so it looks like
    http://politea.sk/tmp/20092009215.jpg

* the top cable should be the data
    * the one most right, should be for the micro
    * and the one/2 on my finger, should be the power for the backlight (they were connected to the wireless card, i dont know why...)

the data connector looks like follows
    http://politea.sk/tmp/20092009217.jpg

the inverter should be in the LCD panel

iam not sure about the connector, cause it dont looks like smt. you can hook up to http://www.axiomtek.com/Products/ViewProduct.asp?view=546#2

pls, can somebody help me with this?

5. LorDrakko

LorDrakko Member

Good Day!!!

I've been trying to get information on the process of recycling notebook LCDs but i havent had any luck. I'm trying to get the Pinouts or Schematic papers for 2 Toshibas 10" LCDs LTM10C035K and LTM10C286.
    I'd like to enable those as external monitors with vga cable, I've read about people that has been able to do it successful.

At this point this is the most complete forum regarding the topic and after reading the 15 pages and seen all your work on this, i'm convinced that it possible...

Any help will be really appreciated!!!!

6. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

Hey everyone!
    Glad to be here reading about what you did with your laptop LCDs.. My laptop's graphics card died 2 weeks ago. Now I've taken everything out of the case and kept every useful piece. I got the screen off too, what's different about my screen is that it has a build in camera in it and although I didn't open it just yet.. my question is..

COULD WE GUYS TURN MY 15,4'' LCD SCREEN INTO A FULLY DIGITAL MIRROR?

That would be fun I know, but I'm just kidding.. ok.
    My plan is to use the lcd screen on a typical desktop pc, with a dvi output on the vga.
    So, from what I've read above, I need to open the screen's cover and check on the info included? Is that correct?

Here are some photos I've taken of the LCD Screen and connectors:

Thanks in advance for your help!

7. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi! I think I mentioned this in an earlier post... Currently the best way to make a laptop panel work on a desktop PC is to get one of these converters:

If you want to use the panel as a monitor:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110441686709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    When I bought my converters, the seller also had a DVI+VGA version for a few quid extra (the above is VGA only).

If you want to use the panel as a TV:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110441686727&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you decide to buy a converter, you need to ask the seller first whether their converters support your specific panel model.
    Open the panel enclosure and get the panel model number off the back of the panel. Then send a message to the seller asking whether that panel is supported.

If it is supported, just buy the converter and plug it all together - done.

8. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

Sorry, I was a bit dizzy all the time reading this thread..
    That was late last night.. :)

Thanks for the info!
    It looks simple enough, I'll check if I really need to do that..
    Thanks!

9. LorDrakko

LorDrakko Member

Please I'm trying to get the Pinouts or Schematic papers for 2 Toshibas 10" LCDs LTM10C035K and LTM10C286. Thankz in advance!!!!

10. arrgghh

arrgghh Member

Wow, this is a really informative thread. It basically answered all my questions by READING ALL PAGES. I would like to thank everyone for there posts to help us. I am going to order one of the converters from ebay asap. I already asked the seller if my LCD was compatible and they said it was, so I will cross my fingers when it gets here and post some pics when everything is connected and running.

By the way yesyes, that is one sweet set up you got going there.

I already have a dual monitor setup but am looking to expand it to like 3-4 screens, I multi-task the pc to death and the more viewing area the better, as I dont like switching from window to window all the time. Again thanks to peeps like bytedawg, kreyon, yesyes, without all your help we would all be lost.

11. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Thanks for the praise! ;-)

Let us know when you get the converter and need help ...

12. arrgghh

arrgghh Member

As it turns out, I acquired a 17" LCD panel which uses TMDS as its input. So I guess i would only have to splice a DVI cable directly to the ribbon in order to supply the signal from the pc to the panel?

The only problem is that after reading the spec on DVI output, it says that the supply voltage is 5v. The LCD requires an input voltage of a maximum of 3.5v.

I guess i would need to supply the LCD panel from another source in order to power the internal circuitry?

I have a copy of the datasheet for the LCD panel if that will help.

Any suggestions?

13. Manveru

Manveru Member

I pulled a Samsung LTN152W1-L01 from a dead laptop and did the same for a Samsung LT121S5-105. I am planning on buying a controller for both of them. I believe the ebay auction yesyes posted will work for the first one, but the second is a 12.1" screen and the controller kit is for 15" screens or larger. Does anyone know where I could get a controller for the LT121S5-105?

14. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Manveru, ask the seller on ebay if the controller supports your panels. I use the controllers with 14" panels. So there is a chance that they also support your 12".

15. Manveru

Manveru Member

Thanks; I'll do that. And thanks for the fast reply.

16. LorDrakko

LorDrakko Member

is there any advice for my screens?

17. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Sorry, but I don't have any pin-outs. Nothing to be had from Toshiba directly?
    When I got my first panels I did just ask Samsung support on their website if they had any data sheet and they did send some PDFs through. So might just be worth asking Toshiba. Worst case they say no or you'll be ignored. But worth a try.

But what are you planning to do with the pin-out once you have it?

18. LorDrakko

LorDrakko Member

well just as personal experiment to see what can i get wiring them to VGA. I've read all the posts about this but well as Google says

19. Manveru

Manveru Member

Well, apparently the controller will work with both of my panels. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get the money to purchase them.

20. BLCollier

BLCollier Member

Hey all

I just wanted to say that I have spent a few years researching into this subject now, and this was the most informative post on the subject I've found! All the advice I had previously just directed me to a controller card from EarthLCD - costing around $200 :O. I've got two old laptop LCDs which I plan to try and use with the kit on eBay (the previous links are now dead auctions, due to their age, but I managed to find the seller's details) - one is a Hitachi TX38D83VC1FAB from an old Sony laptop, and the other one is a newer widescreen unit (not exactly sure of the model, as I haven't ripped apart the old laptop in a while).

Those LCD panel kits look like an absolute godsend - much easier than the $200 EarthLCD stuff! That is assuming it supports the LCDs I want to use... :)