1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1 man's junk is another man's treasure!!

2. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

sorry if i sounded rude but a huge amount of valid info has been posted and it ticks me off when inaccuratre and useless info is posted. Sure you can go to the junkyard if you want to and you may find treasure there but I guarantee you'll probably spend a lot of time with useless junk. Ever hear of craigslist or ebay or electronics flea markets or forums like this? Lots of good stuff for cheap and even free and you don't have to dig through disease infested garbage in your search for another persons toss away. Although I must admit you might just score. Second of all not all lcd's use the same wiring so you just CANNOT expect to simply connect at random any LCD or dual scan or older screen to any driver chip. And if you read any of my posts or some of the others that were on track you'd know how far off track ceteras' post was. Sorry cetera, but it was way off. especially the comment about laptop screens not being as good as LCD's. I have dozens of older (15 years old) laptop screens that are LCD's and even an 11" older LCD has decent image reproduction. And apparently some of you missed the point about the output/input comment. I have an electronics degree and have psent many years as a tech. Not to brag mind you but only to give you a perspective of my experience. If you can grasp the basics of my comment you'll probably be able to mate any
    LCD screen to a desktop.

3. CasperLok

CasperLok Guest

ok look a have a laptop lcd screen a dell latitude CPI and mine can wid one cord with a plug on the end like this

[​IMG]

i was wondering it there was a bored or something that this could plug right into? any links or anything is much appreciated

4. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

is that a DVI connector? Can't make it out.Try checking around for a converter plug.That would be interesting to see if you can get that to work from a video card.I have a lcd desktop monitor and it has a DVI plug like that on the back on one on my nividia 6600gt card.

5. CasperLok

CasperLok Guest

ya that plug plugged rign into the board of the dell laptop

6. ddp

if that is a dvi connector than you need a dvi to vga adapter. maybe $15

7. CasperLok

CasperLok Guest

no its not a dvi plug its a lot smaller than a dvi plug this plug plugged directly into the motherboard

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2005
  8. ddp

does it have 3 rows of 5pins each on the connector?

9. CasperLok

CasperLok Guest

no two rows of about 30 small pins

10. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

11. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I'm just wondering if you did have a converter plug for that lap top LCD would it need stand alone power or would it just feed through that cable? I may not need alot of power to that screen neing that it's from a laptop.I'd like to see it work if possible.Might pick up some junk laptops just for the screens.Then I try to run a couple off some video cards make a widescreen.

12. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

Just like in the laptop the power is sent as part of the signal to the monitor and then the backlight has it's own 12v lines to operate and adjust the backlighting. check out this file -> http://www.baytek.de/download/datasheets/englisch/debvavd1.pdf - it is a tech document for one of the cards that takes (composite, or r,g,b signal in - to LCD out)the diagram in the document shows the 30 pin connector and also the 12v backlight output. really pretty good and only about $149. I have been looking at these more and more and see that it should work great for my application (taking 14" laptop monitors and re-using them in the Car (mobil video)much less expensive than buying new 14" monitors for the car at $800 to $1000)
    hhhhmmmmmm. Practical? you bet cha! ( the real beauty of these is they are set to run on 12v already so I should not have to convert to 12v from some other strange voltage!!!) makes vehicle applications that much easier.

13. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

That is a Dell from Hell proprietary connector, however, contrary to popular belief Dell does not make their own laptops, like many other laptops available, but since Dell from Hell does not have any desire to amke an adapter you'll need to make your own from the schematic of the lcd screen manufacturers data and as long as you can decipher the requirements of the inputs and outputs (does this sound familiar to some) of the respective components it will/should not be a problem.
    Alternatively, adapters are available but they are not cheap or inexpensive unless you have a great source or lots of money. The key is the model number of the panel, if you can find it you can probably find the info you need to accomplish the beginning of the procees to complete your task.

14. jglover72

jglover72 Guest

Ok, I've read all these posts and I have a very simple question. I want to use a laptop lcd screen. Remove it from the laptop and just extend the cable. So the laptop will reside in the trunk of a car and the lcd will reside in the front. How, and is this possible?

15. tampy

tampy Member

ok I too am looking at this. Here is a pic of the connector from screen to motherboard. I think it's same as the one above.

What do you guys think?

Cheers.
    Sorry about pic quality. Best I could get.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  16. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

as far as extending the cable for the Laptop monitor to the front of the car, I don't know the exact numbers but the signal does have limitations on distance traveled, in other words the cable may have to be made of a thicker wire and the signal somehow amplified to get the signal from the trunk to the front of the car.(I know it does not seem like much to you and I but the electronic signal does have limitations on how far it can travel(intact) and it's not very far. and again I say for those of you with nice little connectors on the ends of the monitor cable, look at the adaptor cards, they have those kind of hook ups on some of 'em and they are a good solution for the price (unless you like "Nano-soldering"). there is simply no easy way to creat a connection from a from an (esentialy 3-pin) RGB source and translate it to the 40-pin input, and have all the scan times/lines be set correctly and etc, etc, etc....... oh, it can be done, but not easily! or quickly, or for that matter Cost Effectively!

17. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to attach your lcd to, if the signal source is a tape or dvd player, then yes the output is either rf or rgb
    and these signals typically will travel relatively long distances w/o
    serious signal degradation. But again and I'll say it again and again
    probably, the input to your lcd depends on the manufacturer and model and there are brazilians of variations. Not literally but I hope you get the picture. For a PC the simplest adaptation is probably to purchase an adapter from EarthLCD or someone like them who specializes in making the CUSTOM adapter. Not really inexpensive either, usually more than a new lcd monitor itself or used to be. If you are talented, adventurous, lucky and know electronics making one yourself is not impossible. But I
    have not seen a generic adapter probably because, like I said previously, lcd displays do not have a generic connector.

18. asvoria

asvoria Guest

I'm working on a elite group I-buddie A900 laptop, replacing the broken LCD with a Hyundai HT14x13-102. My problem is... the model isn't compatible. I try to solder the pinouts so that the output can be read by the hyundai lcd.
    But I don't know which line sending what signal... I really hope to get a data sheet. but where can I find it?
    the original notebook lvds connector have 18 pins to the lcd... but the lcd only have 17 pin in... what should I do?

19. deadcell#

deadcell# Guest

yesterday i got bored and took apart my old rotting laptop and then when i tried to plug it back in there were some sparks and stuff so i took it apart to salvage the parts and i thought it would be a cool idea to use the keyboard on my desktop ( i have an old ps2 keyboard aswell if it helps ) so could anyone send me a link to thread which tells me how to do this or give me aquick tutorial please id be very greatful ^_^

thankyoo xxx

20. DylanUK

DylanUK Guest

What confuses me here is that you are all saying that a monitor uses a digital input, well, providing you have a recent gpu you can have a digital output, so surly you must just have to ensure the signal is compatable with the monitor standered. This may be where the problem lies i guess.

But you have all been talking in relation to the flat lead that connects to the motherboard, i was recently looking into buying a laptop monitor off ebay and using it as a screen for a pc, but the only lead they have is what seems to be a 2 pin connector. Here, ill post a pic.

[​IMG]

surly that cant be the video connection, so where does the video connection, connect?

totaly novice at this btw.