1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BrandtW

BrandtW Guest

Has anyone tried reaching Deanman and been able to reach him? I've emailed his hotmail account twice and haven't heard a reply.

Also, I called EarthLCD and spoke with a surly individual who claimed that they have no products that allow VGA or DVA outputs to connect to a laptop's LVDS connector. Has anyone had success with them?

2. jdsteven

jdsteven Guest

yea i tried emailing him about a week ago or so, still no reply =\.
    still working on this lil endeavor and hopefully a fairly simple solution is in the works =D, no promises tho =p

3. johnson4

johnson4 Member

So can I be sure that my laptop lcd panel will be able to replace a lcd monitor's panel?
    Im think that the cheapest way to solve this thing is to buy a lcd monitor with a cracked panel (under 10 bucks on ebay).

Is there a difference between a monitor and laptop lcd panel? Could it be that modern lcd panels use the same standard as far as raw wiring exiting the panel?

Later

4. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

Johnson4 - there is no way to be SURE about using an LCD from a laptop in a LCD desktop container. first you wold have to take apart the LCD monitor and see what kind of LCD panel is inside, and then find the same model and brand to replace it with, if it is not the same brand and model there may be connector issues.
    for the most part though they do work on the same principles and have the same basic connectors types on them, but because the Desktop LCD does not have to be as thin as a laptop LCD then the components can be seperated from the LCD board, this would help with heat issues and such, so this might be something that would get in your way as well.

that was the long answer, the short one is: "Nothing is for SURE in Life but DEATH and TAXES!"

5. johnson4

johnson4 Member

Thanks I figured that was probably the case
    I have a Acer aspire 2000 that has a cracked graphics card, so a real good screen but it's now useless on the laptop.
    Ive emailed acer to try and find the specs and manufaturer of the panel, so Ill post if this develops into anything.

It's just hard to resist the idea when there are so many cracked or damaged lcd monitors on ebay for under 20 bucks, hopefully I can find something that works.

6. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

If you checked the thread you'd know several things.

Q: So can I be sure that my laptop lcd panel will be able to replace a lcd monitor's panel?

A: NO, an LCD FPD not from a laptop has a different input and connector usually VGA or DVI of some kind but is typically standard with other LCD monitors but if it is from a laptop the connectors are usually designed specifically for the laptop and sometimes even if the same screen is used in a different model of laptop.

Q: Im think that the cheapest way to solve this thing is to buy a lcd monitor with a cracked panel (under 10 bucks on ebay).

A: Not a good choice as the screen may not even work, if it does it
    could have abberations and anomolies, lines and missing data.

Q: Is there a difference between a monitor and laptop lcd panel?

A: YES and NO, see above or read the thread from beginning.

Q: Could it be that modern lcd panels use the same standard as far as
    raw wiring exiting the panel?

A: wouldn't that be nice, a standard FPD designed as a stand alone
    monitor, YES, but check which standard VGA or DV, etc. The laptop
    FPD if it is TFT LCD whether VGA, SVGA, XGA or higher resolution
    has a common signal convention but depending on resolution and
    manufacturer will have different connectors and number of pins to
    accomodate the added lines of resolution, maybe. IF all laptop
    screens werre standardized you could take one out af any laptop and
    put it in any other laptop, and WHY would you want to be able to do
    that???????? And older screens can be single scan or dual scan and
    the manufacturers made sure they were not compatible with other
    laptops as well. It's called being able to make a profit on parts,
    and there is this resolution thing. You see LCDs use horizontal and
    vertical lines, say 1024x768 to make a matrix and a driver is
    required for each line, lots of drivers with higher res you need
    more lines and signals need to be converted from the main chipset,
    essentially decoded by the driver sets. So cabling is at the mercy
    of the engineers or their managers.
    In short, to replace ANY LCD it will have to be exactly the same as
    the original or compatible unless you can work magic with flat
    ribbon cables or make adapters to match signals which has been
    previously posted.

7. relfstkid

relfstkid Member

bytedawg, ive read your posts, and I understand what you guys are saying about the controller and everything. You mentioned in some of the posts that you said getting the schematics for monitors was possible. Where would you get this information, should i just contact the manufacturer? You cant really begin to understand the signals that you need to send the monitor until you have this information. The laptop monitor that I have is from an HP XE3, and the screen is a CPT 14.1 in. TFT display. It is HP part number F2111-60911. I just included this info in case you had some sort of way of getting the info that I dont. If you can help, I would appreciate it. This could be a fun project for a student engineer.

8. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

Yes, the schemas are crucial for getting to the heart of the matter and they used to be avail. on the net as well of course from distributors
    in book form. I've got both types of libraries but I haven't tried to access anything on the net for most current LCDs even though I may have replaced them. The HP number you referenced doesn't mean anything to me
    and what most people don't realize is that Dell, HP, Compaq, etc., don't really make their own systems. Assembly is not the same to me and there are also very few screen manufacturers. And as good as HP's support is they may not provide the screen info you need, however, there are other ways to get this info by for example doing a screen replacement search
    although this may not get you the schema. As an engineering student you should be able to get access to this type of info, if not from the school but from Allied or Pioneer or Newark or another distributor. I'll share my library but it is somewhat limited to older screens and if I find a good source I'll post it 'cause it is pertinent info for many reasons. good luck. got a screen number email me at randombyter
    at yahoo dot com and I'll see if I can help. tx31d30vc1caa for ex:

9. anahrah

anahrah Guest

So I've reaed through the forum and am still confused. It's been YEARS since I've canabalized computer parts to this degree. Here's what I've got...

I inherited a GeForce 6800 from a roommate. It's got dual DVO ports. I'd like to use an old laptop screen as the monitor. What the heck do I need to do to get the old (really old) laptop screen to work using the DVO from my PC video card?

10. jusnky

jusnky Member

ok i've been looking at this thread in my lunchbreak....

i have a slightly different plan for the laptop lcd panel i have accuired the panel itself is an lg lp133x7 (n2ac). what i want to do is this, i don't care about having the backlight for the panel working only the lcd plate itself, i want to convert the existing cabling from the laptop cables to a dvi connector, i know some expert soldering is a must i'm cool witht that, i just want to know how to convert it to dvi to plug into a standard dvi connection on a standard pc with little mess and or boards / wires as possible, and when i'm done i'll post why i am doing it with detailed instructions so anyone can copy the project( i'll even throw up some pic's for the kiddies to keep them interested too.... ;))

11. Bronco2v8

Bronco2v8 Guest

Okay, I've read this whole script, and I think I have what is needed to complete my LCD screen conversion. But I have no idea how to hook it all up.
    My screen is a Matasushita/ Panasonic EDMGR68KDF
    and my control card is (I think) a Samsung? TE17PO
    [​IMG]

12. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

you may be reading but you're not paying attention or comprehending. try again and pay attention to detail and try to grasp the concepts of serious electronic conversion and engineering principals. There is more to it than just throwing a bunch a stuff together. Unlike humans electronic components do not have a tendancy to copulate and produce offspring that is a combination of genetic or digital material.

13. Hubert

Hubert Member

I have a Samsung LT150X3-126 display (15",from Compaq Presario) with inverter and I would need info about video and power pin assignment. I've been searching thenet 4 a while now, no news yet. I even wrote 2 Samsung 4 help, nothing.
    I want to make my own converter as my final thesis at university, but i need pin info first.

14. Hubert

Hubert Member

DylanUK: in your picture, video input is below the "sensitive" sign, a small brown plug. But U also need an inverter (i think) in order to work.

15. sabad66

sabad66 Member

Any updates with regards to getting this going?

16. bytedawg

bytedawg Member

17. Hubert

Hubert Member

Thank you for your help, but the page you gave me, didn't contain what I needed. I wrote Samsung semiconductors for help and they sent me the spec I needed. One down and 2 many 2 go.

18. Techburn

Techburn Guest

Read through the thread a couple times and after looking at some of the links and my LCD(NEC NL10276BC26-09) It seems that the cabling for this model is pretty damn identicle (Except in the plug{Not Sure, havent found a side by side comparison}) to the ex-standard DFP. Is anyone willing to help me confirm this as it would make the lives much simpler of those few who have the display and would allow me to start working on finding a decent convertor board (Or simple DFP to DVI cord (Purchasable)) Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006
  19. steve03

steve03 Member

OK, I've read the whole thread.

I'm on exactly the other end of the problem.
    I have a device that outputs LVDS and need to convert it to Analog VGA for capture.
    There is a fairly inexpensive way to convert Digital Video (Flat Panel/DVI) to LVDS. Applied Data Systems which manufactures Single board computers has the schematics for the converter here
    http://www.applieddata.net/developers/documents/112-3_ADS_LVDS_adapter_revA.zip

The secret is the LVDS Transmitter IC DS90C363A.

The Digital signals get mapped to it and it serializes and sends over 8 wires (4 twisted pairs).

Most Desktop video cards have a DVI output which could be mapped to the transmitter IC.

The only reason LVDS is used is to get better maximum cable length between video output device and LCD as the differential signaling is more noise tolerant.

As stated in previous posts, all LCDs are digital input and that means 30-40 wires if you're LCD only has 8-12 then it's likely LVDS.

This does not include the Backlight controller which may or may not be built into the "LCD". An actual Backlight only needs 2 wires, and they would be a fairly high voltage 100-300 volts albeit at low current. A larger number of wires would mean that the inverter being used to generate this high voltage signal is included on your "LCD" and the other wires would be for +12V, GND, Backlight On/Off, and PWM to control brightness.

That info should let you identify whether or not your "LCD" is LVDS or Fully Digital. Non LVDS should be able to be connected directly to a DVI output of a video card, although you'll have to map the pins accordingly.

Oh, and the little 20-26 pin connector that the pictures are floating around of is most likely a 3M MDR connector (The standard for LVDS)

20. rrimac

rrimac Member

[bold]Hi there![/bold]
    Thanks gays for these thread... and I need help.
    I had a car accident and my laptop was on back seet.
    Everything is broken but the 15" LCD. I'm not sure that it works - but I think it does.
    It's an IPC laptop. Year... Uh... I think 2000.
    I would like to mode it to be a desktop monitor, but... I don't know how.
    What do I have to do? What do I have to buy? What do I have to make?
    If someone knows please HELP!!!
    You can E-mail me on rrimac@gmail.com