1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. compmoddr

compmoddr Guest

Hi, i'm new to this thread and i see that a previous message uses the same kind of cable output from their lcd screen from their laptop. I have a Samsung LT133X1-106 which came from a Dell Latitude CPi. i believe (from much research on the net) that the connection is called a '3M MDR connecter'. i also understand that if ur video card from ur computer supports dvi, that means it supports digital output? i am not sure about this, but i have an ATI 9800 Pro. wondering if there has been any recent updates on this topic or if anyone could help me...any help is welcome...

thanx-Andrew

2. Hubert

Hubert Member

If you have a DVI output on your graphic card, then there should be no problem. A 3M MDR connector is standard connector for DFP (digital flat panel), which uses TMDS technology (as well as DVI) to transmit the data. For the pin assigmnet of both connectors, try wikipedia or google, and type DFP (or DVI) connector.

3. compmoddr

compmoddr Guest

thanx hubert...i will keep this forum updated if i can get it to work or if i run into any problems

4. compmoddr

compmoddr Guest

well i'm finding info on the cables, but what i am not sure about is what pins correspond to eachother so i can connect the 3M MDR cable to a DVI cable/connector..if anyone has info on this, please post...

thanks-Andrew

5. compmoddr

compmoddr Guest

i think this is very useful...but unsure where to get it...i will try the number tomorrow to see for prices and see if it is worth my time and money to get it. =)

6. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi and thanks for that post. I was just about to start this project again when I saw your post. I ordered one of these converters. For that money it's not worth putting hours and hours of work and development into the project when a better version is already available for a few quid. I'll post here when I received and tested the converter.

7. stress1

stress1 Member

Hello to all,
    After reading from page one till the end of this thread I've decided to join. I will admit my concepts/ ideas may be diffrent but they have the same principle which is using a LCD screen/panel into a stand alone lcd monitor.

This is where I am at,
    Tearing up the house for old 'junk', I found:
    4 PDA's (b/w, (2)12bit, and an unknown).
    3 Cell phones (motorola razr (color), palm trio, nokia b/w)
    2 LCD PC Monitors (1 screen got punched in....., the other turns on but instantly turns its self off (bad power inverter board. Just too lazy to fix. Come on it was free...)
    5 Laptops (1 doesnt power, 1 cracked lcd, 1 out-of-date battery wont hold charge color TFT screen, 1 WAS 'still in use' by me and the other, well lets just say if I need it I will use it... (I dont think my girlfriend should mind, I mean I did get her it...)

I have also put a few emails out for anything anyone has laying around. Will ask around work and anywhere else I think I can find something usable....Also Checking ebay!!!

So Im thinking... Start from what is similar (Also what will give me the least shock of my life, hahaha.) and get a screen from one thing and make it work on another. Then once I see what is needed to get a few of the screens to work on one thing, move to another thing and get the screens to work on that thing.

After I have sucessfully made a various screens work on diffrent units then start to elimite (take away) parts one by one and see what effect it has (resistors, chips, wires...)

Once I have the bases then try to adapt to a standard Desktop PC video card. There will be steps added in as I go...

SO:
    Laptop is easy to get/ load software on so it will be the main focus at the moment. I will at first attempt get a screen from one of the Palm pilots to work on the laptop.

Where to start? Well I will need to decide what laptop to use and what pda to start with. I will also disassemble all the 'junk' I have and eliminate parts that have nothing to do with the screen. Bag each componet so not to get things fixed up. First before anything I will need to purchase or locate my volatage regulator so I wont have to buy power cables for everything. Then just make a univeral 'adapter' that will let me charge everything up without the need of buying 25 diffrent power cables.

I have also got to think about how I can make changes to wires comming out of lcd to input of laptop with ease. I will spend the rest of the day thinking of ideas.

Let me know what you think about my plan and any idea you might have. I really think if you move in tiny steps you can cut everything down to the bare needs. We may also have the componets we have an not know about it.

8. pinn2

pinn2 Member

Hi Guys

I've read this thread from the beginning and understand there are a lot of issues involved in this kind of project.

I have an old Sony Picturebook C1XN that is effectively non usable these days (too slow, Win98, etc...), however the screen because of it's resolution (and form factor) would make a perfect in car display.

I also have another machine where the screen is cracked but semi functional (I removed the screen to check the cabling).

After reading this thread I've realised this project is outside the scope of my capabilities, however if someone would be willing to undertake it they can have the broken picturebook to work on and keep it afterwards.

Any takers?

9. compmoddr

compmoddr Guest

ya...haha, onli if, i sorta gave up on my laptop lcd to work with my computer after i emailed various companies including bell (and even after telling them i was a student) still got turned down my all the negative responses. i've decided to tackle a new kind of project...make a somewhat replica of an imac using an old panasonic crt monitor case and my 19" samsung lcd along with my various components. hoping that will go all well, and havn't yet decided whether to post a log here at afterdawn or on any other forums i use often.

Happy modding-Andrew

10. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

Pinn,
    Nice Offer, But take a look into the card suggested a few posts back (offered on ebay) and for a few bucks you can make a car screen, I am ordering a few after the holidays to make screens for my truck and my wifes car, 14" monitors go for $800 before installation, you can make one from a laptop monitor with one of those cards for about $100-$200 dependng on any casing or mounting costs. if the monitor is intact and just has the wire coming out to a nice connector it can be real easy, you can get the card and a radio shack hobbie case to mount it on the back of the pannel, and then mount it in your car in some way, you are all set!
    when I dissassemble laptops for work, I take the panels off clean and save em, they have all different types of mounts on them and connectors, some are better for possible roof mounting and some for other types, you will have to see what you have and how it will work. (Just thought about it and if someone has a swiveling panel from a newer notebook/tablet that would be an excellent screen for a central mount that could swivel to any position!)

ok now, stress1 - sounds like a good time! I wonder if you will be able to figure out how to work with the touchscreen part of the PDA display.
    if you have a working laptop and a working pda, you can connect them via usb and share the laptop's screen to the pda and then place special icons on the pda's touch screen to make the laptop do things like play music or even start and stop cd/DVD playback. this would work kind of like a remote control for the laptop. it may even be possible to do this via bluetooth enabled devices but I am unsure. it would be cool to have a wireless remote to the hidden laptop! and by using a different screen sharing software you could effectively pan and scan you way through the interface to use it as normal!
    in the case of useing it as a remote screen you could use a laptop with a broken screen and hide it under the seat, and the pda screen would still function as normal!

Keep up the Great Ideas All, and keep exploring!

11. pinn2

pinn2 Member

Kreyon

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Sony picturebooks?

They had a very small letterbox/widescreen format with a very high resolution for their day. The C1XN had a res of 1024 x 480 in a screen only 7" x 3" (ish), the C1MP had the same form factor for 1280 x 600.

The form factor is perfect for 1.5 din spacing, if you let me know how you get on I may well try it.

Regards

12. Kreyon

Kreyon Member

Pinn,
    SOunds like a great little monitor for the dash! I will deffinately keep you informed.
    cheers!

13. compmoddr

compmoddr Guest

ok, one other thing...those new lcd picture frames that they are selling around for dirty cheap....do those work? are the screens salvageable from those?

14. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

mcdshaun, I'm forever in your debt ! :lol:
    With the converter from ebay I finally GOT IT WORKING!!

[​IMG]

The converter kit could use some small design changes to make it flatter so it would fit inside the plastic casing around the panel. I had to cut out a few areas on the back of the plastic casing to be able to close it.

[​IMG]

But that's nothing a little DIY can't solve... ;)

15. mike82y

mike82y Member

Hey yesyesuk!!

nice job over there!! it sure looks great!!

Do you use any Messenger tools? maybe we could have chat there?
    I want to do the same like you did but i am not sure where to start..

Happy New Year,

Mike

16. malirk

malirk Member

Im trying something similar... is it possible to hook in an LCD that was previously connected to a Dell Inspiron to a Second source out on an Onkyo Receiver.

I have ideas in my head how this would work... but Im not sure.

17. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

not sure what an Onkyo receiver is. Sounds like it would have component video output. In that case you need the other model of converter that has component video input instead of VGA input.

here is the seller's store:
    http://stores.ebay.com/digit-warehouse

18. mike82y

mike82y Member

hey yesyesuk,

I will try to take some pictures of my display panel first. its a very old notebook with a model number: Green 759

The whole thing is falling apart.. lol
    Catch you later!!

Mike

19. mike82y

mike82y Member

Hi there,

I have just taken the diplay apart.. do you think it can be done?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  20. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Hi !
    looks good to me.
    the unit underneath the panel on the first picture is the inverter board and on the left of it are the 2 wires that go to the backlight lamp. You will receive another inverter board with the converter and it looks like the plug for the lamp will fit. The cable to the lamp looks rather short though and you won't have many options for placing the new inverter board.
    The cable from the converter will then connect directly to the connector on top of the display panel as seen in picture 2.

It's best to ask the guy who sells the converters if that model of display is supported. He'll ask you for the exact model of panel and also to send him pictures of it. The pictures you posted here seem alright for that.

let me know how you get on ...

Are you in the UK as well ?