1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I uninstall Win 7 64 bit and save it?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ncord51, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ncord51

ncord51 Member

I need to upgrade to a quad core desktop but need to run Win 7 professional 32 bit...the units I like all seem to have Win 7 64 bit versions installed...Can I buy a unit with Win 7 64 bit, uninstall it and keep it for use on another computer?
    Thank you!

Nick

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if systems come with 64bit windows then most likely has 4gig plus of ram. why do you need 32bit windows?

3. ncord51

ncord51 Member

I will be running proprietary software...they changed the platform from SYBASE to, I believe, SQL. Hardware department says we need at least dual core but I figure I can get quadcore for pretty much the same money with a little more processing power. They also informed us that he software is designed for 32 bit only...it won't work on 64 bit and there are no immediate plans to upgrade to 64 bit. I have a working knowledge of computers but am not up on the technical details such as 32 bit vs. 64 bit...

4. ddp

32bit windows can only read about 3.25gig of ram whereas 64bit can read past 4gig of ram. can by a no name computer(not a dell or hp) & put whatever operating system you want on it.

5. ncord51

ncord51 Member

Yeah...I am considering that...but I found a Gateway refurb with a Phemom x4 945 processor for $350 and free shipping...seems like a good deal except it has Win 7 home premium 64 bit...can't find a no name with no OS for that...I will also be using it for media and video...so I thought I could get it and remove home 64 bit and install professional 32 bit...I suppose I can just uninstall the 64 bit and lose it but I could use it on another computer...just wondering if it could be saved...

6. ddp

the pre-loaded os is usually setup for that machine or that series so might not be able to use it on a dell or a clone.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

run 32bit in a vm it ain't like you haven't got any hp (horse power),may need a bit extra ram or not & turn off the eye candy crap

8. ncord51

ncord51 Member

I was afraid of that but thought I'd check anyway...I appreciate your help.
    Thanks so much.

Nick

9. ncord51

ncord51 Member

Ok...thanks!

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

use virtual box it's free