1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i unlock my hd without a eeprom (plz help)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by sirzeek, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sirzeek

sirzeek Member

well im trying to hotswap it AND I NEED THE EEPROM FILE from my orginal xbox mothereboard now see i DONT HAVE MY eeprom see i backed it u BUT!!!!! i wiped my HD and i do not have my eeprom saved on my comp or a disk ect... and is there any way i can unlock my hd

ps i do not want anyone to tell me to get a mod chip so plz dont tell me that

2. theridges

theridges Guest

the HD unlocks at the moment when you turn on the xbox and the microsoft logo appears...thats when you hotswap you dont need your eeprom to hotswap...

3. sirzeek

sirzeek Member

well when i turn on my xbox the microsoft logo does not show up just the BIG green X and then t goes to error 16......

4. theridges

theridges Guest

then you cant hotswap......you need a modchip..

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

actually, you still can do hotswap. You get 50/50 chance. Hotswap will fix your xbox.

6. brb100779

brb100779 Guest

Well if you wanna fix your drive with error 16 you can simply

boot the broken system with the hd attached after it gives the error code unplug the gray EIDE cable from the broken box but leave that xbox powered up and the power cable connected to the drive.

now you need a modded box to boot a slayers disk.

boot up the modded box right next to the error 16 xbox
    after the slayers disk loads in the modded box unplug the gray EIDE cable from that 1 and plug it into the hd with error 16 and select restore MS dash from the modded box and it will repair that HD.

then put it all back together and your done.

7. sirzeek

sirzeek Member

tell me more my friends lil bro has soft modded xbox will that work!

8. brb100779

brb100779 Guest

yes softmodded will work

like I said boot up the softmodded xbox with a slayers disk in the dvd drive.
    once it has read the slayers disk unplug the gray cable from the Hard drive but leave the console powered up.

Then turn on your broken xbox on and let it go to the error screen.

plug the gray cable that was plugged into the softmodded xbox's hard drive into your broken xbox's hard drive.

then run the Instant Restore MS dash option under the apps/upgrades tab in the Slayers disk from the softmodded box.

After it installs unplug it all and put them back together.

it only takes a few minutes and will work perfect for ya

9. w0rmyeyes

w0rmyeyes Member

brb100779 your a genius or who ever had the idea to do this, this method works a treat my mate bought round a xbox that someone had softmodded and it had gone wrong and it kept getting the error 16 on it and have been trying the hotswap method and couldnt get that to work but tried this way and took 5 minutes and it worked perfect, luckly my xbox is chipped and swapped the cables like you said and used slayers disc
    and then softmodded it myself and what would you know a perfect working xbox!

10. brb100779

brb100779 Guest

I actually had this idea when I had a 1.6 xbox I bought from Ebay broken with error 21 .

1.6 xbox's are a real pain to put a chip on and I didnt want to have to go through all off that since the hard drive was phsically ok.

Then after quite a few hours of it bothering me it came to mind.

The 1st thing the xbox system does when you turn it on is unlock the Hard drive.
    If it didnt the system wouldnt be able to use the Harddrive.

So I grabbed my Flashed Xbox and followed the steps above and it worked.
    Glad it helped you.

11. scotty132

scotty132 Member

hi will this work if i have error 06 ?
    cheers

12. brb100779

brb100779 Guest

RE- scotty132 (Newbie) 17. September 2006 @ 04:20

hi will this work if i have error 06 ?
    cheers
    Unfortunately no it wont
    Error #6 means that the Hd was locked in a different xbox and the hd/eeprom codes dont match so the system cannot unlock and use the existing hd.

Sorry but you can add a clamp down modchip and then use a slayers disk to add a different hd

13. ekim512

ekim512 Guest

has any tried this method with the evox dash

my theory is i can ftp into the box and send the Shademand's Ready Made Xbox SoftMod over and the evox dash over

this is fun

14. ekim512

ekim512 Guest

it does work

1 failed sofmod fixed successfully

15. brb100779

brb100779 Guest

Glad it worked again and in the future use Krazies Ndure Softmod Installer for softmodding.
    I have never had a case of it messing up and it is by far the easiest.
    Just boot it up from a 007 or Mech Assault game and click a few buttons and it does it for you.

16. ausdamn

ausdamn Member

This method worked a treat on a softmod error 16 box using my other modded (chipped) xbox.

Just a question, can i use this hotswap method to use a 120gb hd in the softmodded xbox? if so, what steps are required.

Cheers :)

17. SAFC1973

SAFC1973 Member

Can this help with error 05 or even error 21. I have 2 HDD's and one HDD gives me error 05 and the other HDD gives me error 21.

Any help appreciated as my xbox has been poorly for nearly a fortnight now :-(

18. dubseller

dubseller Member

I am going to try this right now... I tried softmodding my buddy's xbox and the mixture of beer and sticky made a real bad combo, deleted everything in his xbox and I am stuck with error 13. No problem I think (just get Halo 2 and update the dash...)

Then the power goes out for 6 hours the next day (coincidence or what....?)

So I got error 16...

This is the last option before I go out and ebay an xbox for him!

19. dubseller

dubseller Member

So.... The results....

My buddy's Xbox was a moody one to say the least. Everytime I touched the HDD, the power would shut off (weird). So after about 7 tries, I did it carefully and finally pulled the IDE cable from the HDD, then switched it with my softmoded xbox IDE cable. The Slayer 2.7 DVD was loaded into my xbox and I installed it. After about 1-2 minutes, it was done. I unplugged one cable then pluggedd in the other and reset the "error 16" xbox. Almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw the "microsoft" at the bottom of the big green X!!

I saw the clock load up and knew right away that this finally worked!

A great big THANKS to brb100779!

20. efliction

efliction Member

Hi there I attempted to change my dashboard on my V1.1 Xbox and ended up with an error 13.

I later tried attempting refreshing my C and E drives using a hot swap method with no luck at all!! Then I unlocked my Seagate hard drive using the firmware for the drive, then I replaced all the old backup files and put the Hard Drive back onto my Xbox, which I then realised I needed a EPROM file from my original Xbox which unfortunately didn’t seemed to have save on my backup of the C and D drives. Now there is an Error code 5.

My question is this, is there any way just to lock the hdd without the EPROM file or can I use this hdd again with installing a chip? I have just bought a Duox2 and waiting for it to be delivered. If I can use it before then that would be excellent.

My Xbox is currently Softmodded with an UnleashX dashboard.

Thanks for all your help!!