1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use a pvr without a monthly fee?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by cakefoo, Apr 22, 2004.

1. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

Can I use a pvr for free, like maybe just without the onscreen channel guide or whatever service? I don't see the fairness in charging people to use a pvr every month. It'd be like charging me a monthly fee to play my guitar.

2. jamesq97

jamesq97 Member

Yes you can. You can hack a TiVo or get a DBS PCI card for your computer.

A DBS PCI card will allow you to use your computer as a PVR. You can get a bunch of unencrypted channels with a DBS system and even order programming like dishnet. a program like MyTheater and a remote will allow you to use your computer as a PVR with a remote. And you can also edit commercials and burn to DVD or SVCD if you like.

3. delvallef

delvallef Member

RCA makes a pvr called the DRC7005N that is not subscription based.

4. ballz7

ballz7 Guest

I just got a Dish Network PVR 501 off of ebay. No monthly charge!! Works great!

5. mcbink

mcbink Guest

YES,
    That is exactly what I was looking for.
    The ability to use the TIVO and get programing,editing
    and ability to burn to dvd with my computer as an interface.
    All without a fee !
    Thanx

6. michigan

michigan Guest

balz7

Do you have Dish Network service or do you just use the PVR as a stand alone?

7. ballz7

ballz7 Guest

Yeah I still have the standard subscription, but I don't pay the extra $4.98 a month that they charge now for the PVR.

8. michigan

michigan Guest

How do you get it to work like that just "plug and play" or what? PM me if its easier.

9. ballz7

ballz7 Guest

You still have to call them and set up your receiver just like any other receiver. But the model I have is an older model that came out before they started charging the monthly fee. Just go to ebay and search for dish network pvr 501. That is the model I have. Here is a link to one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32845&item=5711301661&rd=1

That one is a really good price - I paid twice that for mine. It will be the best money you spend! I can't imagine watching TV without it now. If you are going to replace your current receiver with a PVR make sure you cancel it. Unless you are going to keep it and put it in a bedroom or something. Otherwise they will have on record that you have more than one receiver and will charge you $4.99. Because it is $4.99 for each additional receiver that you have. I took my old one and sold it on ebay. Good luck - let me know how it turned out.

Bill