1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use the re-install disc???

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Basenco, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

I am about to build a new system. I already have a Dell Dimension E510 that im moving to another room. I prefer to have Windows XP Professional which is already installed into the Dell system.
    Question: Can I use the Reinstallation Disc that came with the Dell system to install the operating system into the new build or do I have to buy Windows XP new? Please advise. Thanks.

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

No, you can't use the Dell installation disc to install XP on a new computer. You can only transfer a retail license of XP from one computer to another. The license that comes with Dell is an OEM license. Plus, the Dell CD is most likely a recovery CD that includes the Dell drivers, which won't work for your new computer.

You can either purchase an OEM version of XP or a retail version of XP. The OEM version will be cheaper, but once you install and activate it, it's now locked to that computer. Of course, everything I said is in accordance with Microsoft's end user license agreements (EULA).

Basically, if you want to stay legal, this is your only option. If you don't mind breaking a few laws, there are other options, but this isn't the place to discuss them.

3. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

Thanks for the explanation.