1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use Windows98 for these copying programs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chowder, Apr 19, 2003.

1. chowder

chowder Member

Hello. I'm brand spanking new at this. In fact, I haven't even purchased a dvd burner yet. I'm still in the research mode.

A friend of mine gave me a list of programs I could use to get started copying movies. The only thing is, he uses Windows XP and I use Windows98. He doesn't know if I can use Windows98. Can I use Windows98 for these programs: (1) DVDDecryptor, (2) IFOEdit, (3) ReMPEG2, (4) VOBrator, and (5) SpruceUp?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. thingimij

thingimij Guest

depends on the film and which way you do it cause 98 as a file size limit of 4gb and some video files may go over that.

as for the programs i would recommend you downloading dvdshrink103, does the lot in one go keeping the vobs so there is no worry about file size.
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/right.html
    scroll down to 4/10 and download.

rempeg2 takes hours, shrink takes half an hour.

spruce up only supports 4:3, shrink keeps your widescreen.

thingimijig.

3. chowder

chowder Member

Interesting....so dvdshrink103 can replace the two programs, rempeg2 and spruceup?

That leaves only dvddecryptor, ifoedit, and vobrator. Are these good programs? Would you recommend another program instead?

Thanks a bunch.

4. thingimij

thingimij Guest

it can replace everything except the burning.it will decrypt the dvd from the drive so its
    easy to use and when its finished just create a VIDEO_TS folder and a AUDIO_TS folder and put the finished files from dvdshrink in the VIDEO_TS folder then burn both folders.
    back up complete.

thingimijig.

5. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

The only progs you need to have are

1 DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper (Rip files)
    2 DVD2One (Re-encode to fit on DVD)
    3 Nero or other burning software (Burn onto DVD-R)

You can use these with Win98.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2003
  6. princy1

princy1 Guest

It all depends on how much of the original you want to keep (menu's and trailers etc..).

7. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

If you want to keep all the original content you can with those 3 progs i mentioned, just do full disk mode on DVD2One.