1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I watch a back up copy of an hd movie from my hard drive

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by hppykiler, Mar 31, 2007.

1. hppykiler

hppykiler Member

Just like the title sates... Can I watch a back up copy of an hd movie from my hard drive? I have a copy of Direct DVD-HD.

2. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

short answer, yes.

long answer: give full system specs, specifly video card and tv and how they are hooked up.

3. buschdogg

buschdogg Member

I have the same question.. kind of... I'm playing Children of Men back from my hard drive with powerdvd 6.5. I attempted to use 7.3 AND windvd 8, but had no luck getting ANYTHING to play.

My problem is that apparently my cpu is having a hard time keeping up with the film... I've read in other forums that some people who were using a newer version of powerdvd to play hd dvd discs were playing them smoothly and then they tried 6.5 and the playback was no longer smooth... I realize that HD DVD takes a hefty system, and mine isn't the newest... but I cannot see why I shouldn't be able to play this flawlessly. I can play all wmv 9 encoded HD content flawlessly with hardly any cpu usage... and the quality of the files look about the same as this HD DVD...

I'm running a 2.4c pentium 4 @ 3.00 ghz with 1 gb dual channel ddr pc3200 ram... sandracpu compares it to other pentium 4 chips at about 3.2-3.3 ghz, probably due to my increased fsb giving it a bit of extra speed... my sound card is actually a usb edirol ua-25, which seems to do a much better job with playback then when I switch to the mobo's built-in ac97 setup...

Can anyone help me or point me to better software?

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I actually read that people are over the country are having problems with that specific movie. With multiple numbers of players from PC HD Drives, to the XBox 360, to set top boxes. Its something screwy with this movie that is causing it to play incorrectly.

5. buschdogg

buschdogg Member

I heard about the 360, but is that the problem with the stuttering? Basically, if I can play back high def. media in wmp, shouldn't my system be able to handle HD DVDS?

BTW, I'm running an agp 6800 le which nvidia claims is hardware accelerated on HD DVD codecs..

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Not necesarily, I can watch television broadcasts recorded in HD but I cant watch HD-DVD due to system specs.

7. buschdogg

buschdogg Member

Well from what you read, do you think I should be able to play them, even if I have to wait for better software? I've run the HD version of terminator 2 and things like that with no problems whatsoever.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I dont know exactly what the probelm is, but if you take a look at this recent news post from right here at afterdawn.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9229.cfm

you can see that many people w/ many diverse HD players are experiencing this problem so it is most likely a issue with the DVD itself.

9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@buschdogg: I think PeaInAPod has a point. I suggest trying another title as I don't think it's a hardware problem. Your system specs should be enough to handle HD-DVD duties.

10. buschdogg

buschdogg Member

Ok... I'll give it a shot...

11. hppykiler

hppykiler Member

Lets see got an intel 3.2g proc, 2g ram, radieon x1300 (could be a problem?). Specifically, is there a free player that will play .evo files?

12. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

All you guys need is to download vlc player its the best one out there.I f you have windows vista tho i dont know if it works.

13. buschdogg

buschdogg Member

Umm, vlc player won't play any of the files... I already tried it... we're talking about a straight up rip of an HD DVD on my hard drive.. not divx files, wmp files, or anything like that...

14. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

Well on my windows xp pc i have no problems watching my movies from my hard drive.But my windows vista i guess they havnt made it for it..

15. buschdogg

buschdogg Member

I run Windows XP Professional... we aren't talking about standard movie files though.. we're talking about an HD DVD with all the directories, menus, subtitles, audio languages, U-Control features, extra features, and everything else INTACT on the Hard drive...

16. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I know for a fact that this piece of software can play HDDVD rips.

17. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

Oh lol ok then sorry anyway i hope you find out..

18. prepster6

prepster6 Member

Im having the same problem. Has anyone figured out how to play a HD DVD from the hard drive?

I get it to play but, the quality is not HD, its standard. I am using Cyberlink POWERDVD.

My computer specs are: 3.1 ghz, 2 GB Ram and 8800 GTS 320mb HDCP video card.

Also which file is it from all the folders, to start the movie from the beggining? The BDMV file?

19. Kythe

Kythe Member

Burn the files to an iso (e.g. using imgburn), then mount the iso using Daemon Tools. Works for me with PowerDVD 7.3.

20. Kythe

Kythe Member

I should also note that there is a lot of disagreement whether PowerDVD and WinDVD will play a non-content-protected disk or disk image in full resolution without a full hdcp chain from player to screen. As I understand it, they're supposed to, but some think the programs down-res the video anyway (nice overzealous implementation of DRM, there). But as long as the AACS/content protection files and references to aacs in the xpl file are removed, everything should play in full resolution.