1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I write Music only To a DVD?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by thaifan, Sep 25, 2004.

1. thaifan

thaifan Member

Can I get 4.7 gb of music on a dvd? or are blank dvd's only for writing movies to?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

If your DVD player can read MP3 or WMA -- you can put music on a DVD to your heart's content ! -- Have a look at your dvd player manual and see if it also reads those formats.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

You can also put 16/48 PCM straight to a DVD, music only, with Adobe's EncoreDVD.
    Possibly also with DVD Architect too. Although I don't own that one, so not sure.

With Adobe, if you load up the project with WAV files you can use the vastly superior to MP3 Dolby Digital encoder built in, and get up to 60 albums onto a single disc.
    You'll need to make a menu to navigate your way through it, but worth the effort IMO.

30 day tryout version at the Adobe website.

4. rushie

rushie Guest

hi, other than using adobe encore dvd are there any
    other programmes that will burn cd`s onto a dvd disc?
    can i use nero

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No.
    Nero is not a DVD Authoring application.
    AFAIK, you can also do this using Sony Media's DVD Architect, but Encore is the best one for this.
    It allows you to just create a straightforward music DVD without insisting on having video added.

Nero is a general burning utility, no more.
    Also - once you start creating proper DVD's, Nero is positively useless as 9 out of 10 installations also include a dire packet writing application that blocks anything else from getting exclusive access to the burner.

6. rushie

rushie Guest

i have downloaded adbe encore dvd butnas a novice i cant make head nor tail of it. where do i start?

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

There are several places to go for tutorials
    http://www.adobeevangelists.com/encore/index.html
    http://www.effectivemarketingsecrets.com/dvd_adobe_encore.html

are just a couple that will get you started.

Encore looks fearsome, but is not that bad once you get into it, and is a very powerful tool.

To get going, first you should set a couple of basic preferences - set the encoding default to either Dolby Digital or PCM - do not use MPEG audio, it is not your friend.
    If you want to keep maximum audio quality, use PCM. Your audio should be at 16/48 resolution.
    If quality is not the major concern, use Dolby Digital. You'll get around 60 albums onto a single disc with this and the quality is better than MP3, plus Encore will automatically encode to Dolby Digital for you.

For importing your assets, rip the CD first, then you must convert the sample rate to 48 KHz. To do this, use the freeware tool R8Brain at www.voxengo.com/downloads - it is the best rersampler I have ever used, and all you do is point it at the file you wish to convert. It does the rest.
    Then, use an audio editor to join all the tracks together into a single WAV file, and write down the times of the track breaks. This is very important.

Once this is done, make a new Encore project. In the project window, right click and choose "import assets".
    Bring in your resampled CD here.
    Do a single album at a time to avoid confusion.
    You should have a single WAV file for the whole album.
    Right click this when it is imported, and select "new timeline". This will put the WAV file on a timeline for you. Then, enter in the times of the track breaks in the timecode box, and select "new chapter". This will put a chapter point at each track break.

A second way of doing this will be to import each track individually, one album at a time, and when they are in the project you can choose to create a new playlist. Name the playlist, and you can then add tracks one at a time until you are happy. This will then turn into a timeline. Using this method, you can mix and match tracks into whatever order you choose.

For menu creation, use the tutorials. It is not that difficult. Trust me on this - once you get into it, you'll be knocking out the music DVD's like you have been doing it all your life.

You can preview projects at any point, so you can audition how things sound, and you can also encode the audio to Dolby Digital at any time simply by choosing "transcode now" if space is an issue.

Feel free to write here any time you need help, but please - spend some time with the tutorials. It is well worth the effort & investment of time.

8. rushie

rushie Guest

Hi Wilkes, thanks a lot, i`ll give it my best shot and see what happens. once again thanks a lot.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

You're welcome.