1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can nero burn in 8x,12x, or 16x with pioneer dvr-108?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pharmdogg, Sep 24, 2004.

1. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Not at all, (baabaa bows, and feels honoured).
    (Your on your way to the Mod of the month award...LOL)

Not much you can say to that really:
    Over rated speed = hop, skippy, Rated speed = Perfect.

tricky1, it seems you are the contradidiction to the rule.
    And Memorex discs aswell, these are known to be lowish graded media, but you over rated these and they are working - a bow in your direction sir....

Well it seems you are successful with the increased burning speeds - well done.
    However, from what you wrote, I am assuming you are capturing from the TV, directly to PC- correct?
    Are you capturing to MPEG1 standard or MPEG2 standard, and at what bitrates?

I ask this as it may actually point to why you are getting good results at 8x.

This is getting interesting, and there may well be a use for memorex discs afterall.................

2. tricky1

tricky1 Member

I did read up on the various disks and the lower estimation on memorex, I switched to them after a suggestion by a person connected with panasonic. After my dvd player started to refuse to play certain dvd's (written at 4x I may say). I bought a small quantity to experiment and low and behold they turned out to be the better than all the others I had tried..must say still experimenting though and thats not to say of course that the next purchase of memorex will perform the same.
    I get my signal via satellite to the computer using a program called MYTheatre.
    I shall give you the info I get from DVDPatcher
    they record at various bitrates obviously what is coming down the stream, I am not to up on the technical aspects really.
    here are four bitrates I just had a look at:
    they come down at 544x480 so you can see why I need to use dvdpatcher in order to author them to dvd.
    Mpeg-2 standard

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

This maybe the reason you get some good burns, as the initial resolution is lower than that of the dvd standard.

I have not got/used dvd patcher, so could not really comment on as to whether that is why you receive solid burns.

How is the quality turned out after dvd patcher, ie smooth, sharp images etc? compared to the original streamed video.

4. tricky1

tricky1 Member

I am suprised myself at how good they really are. I can view the programs live or replay the recorded mpg's or authored dvd's from the computer tv out card ATI 9500 which has a 50' svideo and 50' Rca sound cables to a 4 in 1 out remote switch to the reciever then to a 47" TV, I also have a sat reciever that I can switch through so someone else can view different programing in another room while I watch either on the computer screen or the 47" tv. The picture seems to be as good coming through the computer as it is from the sat reciever. The only pixelation I get which is seldom, I can usually trace to the original mpeg, usually weather related like I said, most of my recording is done while I am asleep so I dont know if we have had any rain fade....as the satellite servers like to say :) I dont sit through a recorded program prior to authoring and burning so if afterward I find it too bad I would ditch it and record it again later.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yeah, I can imagine it 'blips' abit during bad weather.

Still sounds like you have a nice setup there.

I was wondering whether there was a noticable difference between the signal received before MPEG and after because the lower bitrates may have a bearing on the outcome of your burns.

Does dvd patcher increase the screen resolution or does it retain the original format of 544x480?

6. tricky1

tricky1 Member

It doesnt seem to make much difference visually. You use dvdpatcher to change the header of the mpeg to 720x480 to fool the dvd prog, introduce it into the dvd authoring program then once it is in the program before doing any editing etc, change the header info back to 544x480. I have it running as I type this so I just did a one minute recording and checked to really see if I could see much difference. The only thing I could see was that in the recording the screen size was a tiny bit narrower I imagine the codecs used while viewing it live increase it to the full screen size. Like I said the technology side is a bit over my head as of yet.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

tricky1

Thanks very much for that information it is very interesting.
    So your finalised authored copy is at 544x480?

I think I may have a look at dvdpatcher as it seems like a useful tool to have.

8. zarlaan

zarlaan Member

I still don't understand why people debate back and forth about burning faster then 4X on DVD-R.

All I know is i've had my Sony DRU-510 burner firmware patched and burning on Ritek G05 8X disks ever since they became available. Out of 200 disks not a single one has been a coaster.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Simple. Because it doesn't work well for everyone.