1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can overburn break your CDR drive?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Impaler, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Impaler

Impaler Member

I had working Nero 5.5.10.20, InCD, both latest patches from the site, the works. The other day, I've tried to use overburn with my Lite On LTR-48125s. Firstly, I was surprised that my drive recognises only ~700MB out of my 99min CDR, but once I've enabled overburn, it burned the first one no problem (833MB), got stuck on 100% with the second one (the disk is usable) and got stuck on 3% on the third one. Now, it doesn't recognise the CDRs anymore and it doesn't recognise CDRW (InCD)as well. Even if I try to format, it asks for a suitable media, although brand new CDRW is in, again probably because it's not aware that its there. What can I do?

Vlad

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Errrr, yes, I'm afraid overburn can damage your DVD/CD burner. What you are saying does not sound good. Trouble is there used to be a list on Ahead of overburn compatible burners :

www.ahead.de/de/recorder.htm

But that link does not seem to work with me any more. Anyone else?

Paul.

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

This would be the 1st actual case I've seen. Are you sure there are no other changes in your setup? Try with some other software too.

4. loaded

Can, as in Nero warns you in the expert settings that this can damage your burner. I have never heard of someone damaging one either, but there is always a first ;-)

Paul.

5. Impaler

Impaler Member

Thanks guys, now this made me feel a lot better... ;-)

Ok, recent developments. Now, the drive recognises the CD's, so considering that it doesn't see anything under Nero, it must be Nero, not the drive... (or so I hope)

I'll try clear the registry and go with the reinstall, that might help

Any other suggestions?

What do you think of a possibility of me setting the benchmarks too high? I did do 99min, with 90 min yellow?

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Vlad

6. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Try normal 74 or 80 min CDRs, CD-RW are sensitive media, and 99 min CDRs are completely out of spec.

7. Impaler

Impaler Member

Ok, what I'm trying to do is to fix things now, I know I will not use it again...

In XP, when you put the disk in, it usually recognises it and asks you what you want to do with it (the dialog box). This is gone, even after I've tried to remove the Nero, the disk (unless its a regular CD that has been "sealed" - so multisesion CDR and CDRW's) is just not recognised (computer behaves as if there is nothing there). I have an extra DVD drive on the comp and CD's (all varieties) are behaving as I expect them to in that one.
    I was playing with the system the whole day yesterday. At one point I've managed to remove Nero from the registry and the system started to recognise all sorts of disks as it should, but then I've put Nero back on and tried regular burn but with options overburn and disk at once enabled with 700MB disk and the disk locked up at 100% (just as before) creating the same problem just as before. Now, since then, I've uninstalled Nero, removed all the Ahead entrys from the registry, deleted Program Files folder, but my computer does not recognise the multisession CDR's and all CDRW's. Does anyone knows what I need to check to remove NERO completely (I reckon that is the problem!) or how to make my PC recognise the forthmentioned disk types?

Thanks for all your help so far...

Vlad

P.S. - I've tried removing and installing the drive as well, but no luck, that made me believe that Nero left something behind that's messing it up. I've also tried removing upper and lower velues from the registry, as suggested in some of the threads on this topic on the net (do the google search "removing Nero from registry"), but no luck...

V.

8. Impaler

Impaler Member

AND THE FINAL CHAPTER OF THE SAGA!!!

Minutes after posting prevous message, I've continued working on the problem to find out that problem sorted itself out! I've left the machine off overnight with Nero deinstalled and when I've just checked if the system recognises the disks, it did...

Does anyone has an explanation for this? Its as if I've streched the elastic band inside the burner with overburn and it needed some time off to come back to shape... But CD's don't have elastic bands anymore, don't they?

All the best,

Vlad

9. loaded

:D Actually I think there might be an elastic band in DVD Writer. It is connected to the hamster wheel.

Paul.

10. Impaler

Impaler Member

Really?

Well, simples explanation was that with overloading the cdr (overburn), the more you burn (like in my case 99 min), the more something in there gets streched, leading that it can brake as well, if overused. Unless its a ploy of CD makers to stop you overburning too much, so it deems the drive unusable for a while after a large overburn? I can go on like this forever, but the main thing is that we are yet to see CDRW drive damaged due to overburn (glad I'm not the first one as earlier suggested... ;-) )

Vlad

11. loaded

You must also feed the hamster regularly.

PS if you have an OEM model, it is possible that a gerbil has been used in place of the hamster, due to licencing restrictions. Gerbils need a little more food, but generally work faster.

Paul.

12. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

It appears that the drive has jammed (not physically) and required a power off/on to recover. Unfortunaly I sometimes experience this too.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2003
  13. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

powering off/on the computer has also the effect of freeing completely the RAM, that remains loaded if you just perform a reboot.

14. Impaler

Impaler Member

Sound as if that was a problem...

Thanks chaps...

Vlad