1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can see shared files, but cant open them

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Nas30, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Nas30

Nas30 Member

Hello,
    I have read other threads on here about sharing, but didn't see a answer I needed. Here is my deal.
    2 pc's, one desktop(XP Home)(wireless card) one laptop(XP home)(wireless card). One Netgear wireless router, one high speed modem. Both pc's have individual IP'S, both belong to same workgroup. Both run the same firewall. Both are identical.
    Here's The prob: I can see shared folders on each computer. I "can" accees my folder on the laptop from the desktop, but not vice,versa.

Error message says" \\computer name\folder name is not accessible.You might not have permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Ok, I have "Never" seen this message before, if any one has suggestion, please help. Losing hair fast!

2. onya

onya Guest

While on your desktop, right click on the folder(s) that the laptop cannot access, and select Properties then set the sharing attributes you wish to use. Did this help?

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Also, check to see if both boxes in the shared tab of the properties of the folder were checked.

"Allow network users to change my files"

Sometimes not having that checked keeps you from opening them.

4. Nas30

Nas30 Member

Unfortunately, it did not, still has the same error message. Thank You