1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help me with my Safe Area problem please?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by MakoHazrd, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Okay I am beginning to get incredibly frustrated. This is my problem; I am trying to put around 10 anime episodes onto a DVD. I have tried using DVD Styler, TMPGenc DVD author, Sony DVD architect, and Adobe Premier Pro... I have been able to make decent menus and put the episodes into an iso and then shrink it with DVD shrink just fine.

My PROBLEM is, however, that each of these programs has this annoying "safe area" feature that cuts off the top and bottom of my picture for no reason at all. These anime episodes are in Japanese and subtitled, and I cannot read the subtitles when the picture is being cut off. This is not a problem of my T.v Because there is plenty of room. Where the subtiles should be on the T.V. there is just annoying black bars that were put over the picture by the dvd authoring program.

Can anyone help me solve this problem, I prefer TMPGenc and Adobe if anyone knows how to work them. I just want to be able to see the subtitles that are covered up by the programs black bars. Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

This thread shows how to do this (and assumes the subs are hard coded into the AVI and not a separate .srt file).
    It creates a border around the frame allowing you to see everything on the screen and is relatively easy to test using a short clip.
    Good luck.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=211249

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

That sounds good but I don't want to make the picture size on the video any smaller I just want the rest of the picture to show up >.> The picture isn't going off the edge of the T.V. screen, what's happening is it appears that black bars were actually put over the top and bottom of the picture covering up the subtitles and picture. The episode size is 640x480 I know this is somehow possible, I just need someone who can help me get rid of the black bars covering up the picture.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

As an experiment try a different encoder and see if the problem persists.

It also sounds as if you are encoding in 16:9 although you have a 4:3 source. Are there black bars on the original AVIs?

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

The big question though (as was noted), are the subs burned in or do have a separate sub file.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  5. attar

attar Senior member

It sounds like it's being encoded to 16:9
    I wonder if you can drag the output VOB through GSpot to see if it's 720x576?
    But why hide the subs?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  6. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

"It sounds like it's being encoded to 16:9
    I wonder if you can drag the output VOB through GSpot to see if it's 720x576?
    But why hide the subs?"

I have no idea what that means^^ lol. I am pretty sure in DVD styler I tried setting it to 4:9 and it stretched the top and bottom of the picture so the actual t.v screen cut off the top and the bottom as opposed to in 16:9 where it puts new black bars over the picture.

There aren't really any black bars on the original AVIs except for a tiny one on top and bottom, but no where near as big as the ones put on the video when I burn it to a DVD.

I am pretty sure the subs are burned in. The AVI files don't have any seperate files to go with it. They are just the one AVI file for each episode.

Like I said, once I make the DVD sometimes you can bairly see the top of the subtitles, but most of them (and the picture) are covered up by the black bars put over the picture.

Again, the dimensions of the episodes are 640x480.
    I prefer TMPGEnc DVD author, adobe, or DVD styler but at this point I'm willing to try anything to just have a decent DVD with menus and none of the video cut off.

7. attar

attar Senior member

8. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

What do you mean by different encoder, like something instead of WinAviVideoConverter? Or a whole new program to make the dvds like adobe or TMPGEnc? Could you list some encoders I might try? I still want to go from AVI to DVD format right?

9. attar

attar Senior member

Before authoring a DVD, convert one of the original, subtitled, AVI files with VSO DivX2DVD and output the files to a folder.

The suggested settings for the conversion are:
    If you have a standard TV set and you live in North America Set 'Aspect' 4:3 and 'Standard' Force NTSC.
    Note:if you have a widescreen TV select that aspect or if you live in Europe select PAL for the standard.

After conversion,click on and play one of the VOB files in the output folder and see if the subs are covered up.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe

10. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Holy crap attar your a genius. I haven't tried using VSO DivX2DVD yet, but I did check the DVD files (vob) from the ones I already had made using WinAvi VideoConverter. I turns out the subs and picture is cut off on the Vob files before they even reach an authoring program.

It looks like we're starting to narrow down the problem, but now my question is; what can I do so that when I convert the files from AVI to DVD (Audio TS,Video TS, VOB,ect.) the subtitles won't be cut off and covered up? Would using VSO DivX2DVD instead of WinAvi Video Converter make it so the picture wasn't cut off?

Obviously this is a problem of settings. I'm using a standard 4:9 Sony Flat screen 27inch TV. It's not wide screen and I live in the U.S.

11. attar

attar Senior member

Do you mean your screen is 4:3 or 16:9?

Try VSO with standard set for your TV and aspect NTSC.
    With 'Preview' checked on, you should be able to see the subtitles.
    If not, it's back to the beginning.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  12. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Woops, I meant 4:3, that is the ratio for a standard tv right? Okay I'm going to download that program and try converting one, I'll let you know how it turns out.

13. attar

attar Senior member

Yes, good luck ;)

14. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Okay attar good news! So far I converted one file and after the conversion I tried out the vob file in windows media player. Everything appears there and nothing is cut off! I'm going to convert the rest of the episodes and then burn them to a DVD now and see if everything turns out all right.

If you wouldn't mind checking up on this thread every now and then that would be awesome. Hopefully all this turns out well! Thanks!

15. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

If you're using premiere pro, I'd suggest the following.
    First, run the avi through G-spot to find out what the original source material is: 16:9 or 4:3, framerate, etc.

Then setup your Project settings in Adobe Premiere Pro to match...b4 you start your project. Adobe will render to the settings you provide otherwise.