1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please help me with getting subtitles onto my movie?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by MakoHazrd, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

So I have this Japanese movie called "Shinobi", and the subtitles are in a different file called pme-shinobi.sub or pme-shinobi-subs.sfv , not sure which of those is the subtitle file. But anyways, I just can't figure out how to get those subs onto the movie. The movie is a .AVI file also. Can anyone provide me with an easy and uncomplicated way to get these subtitles onto the movie? Thanks so much.

2. Exodus0

Exodus0 Member

Hey there,
    There is only 1 program you need to fix your problem, It is called VobSub. I think you can download it from Afterdawn but if you can't you can get it from here http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1051&ssid=0&did=2

Before we start you have to make sure that the file name for your .AVI and the .SUB file are identical. for example

Thisisagoodmovie.avi
    Thisisagoodmovie.sub

If there not VObsub wont read them properly.

Ok..
    1) Download and Install Vobsub
    2) Once it is installed go to Start> Programs> VobSub> Direct Vobsub Configure
    3) Once you have clicked on that, click on the 'OPEN' button and search for your .SUB file.
    4) Click apply and then ok.
    5) Now, go back to you movie and play it in WIndows Media Player.
    6) When your playing it, you should see a green arrow at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
    7) When you see the arrow, right click on it and make sure that Show Subtitles is ticked and make sure that your .AVI file name is ticked also which is below show subitles.

Once you have ticked those, the movie should have subitiles in it.
    If you are still having problems post again and i will try and help you.
    Hope this helped

Exodus0

3. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Hmmm that sounded like it's only temporary though. How do I get it so the actual movie file has subtitles in it. So when I open the movie from now on it will have subtitles in it, or If i wanted to burn it to a dvd, I would want the subtitles to be in it.

4. OneMember

OneMember Active member

I like to keep it simple so here is other guide to VobSub:

1. Download and install
    2. Put your video and subtitles to same folder (with same name)
    Like movie.avi and movie.srt
    3. Then open video with Windows Media Player and you will see subtitles.

If you don't see subs or that green arrow, make sure that Load when needed or Load always are selected in VobSub's settings.

EDIT: If you use ffdshow, you don't need VobSub. Just enable subtitles in ffdshow.

Burning
    Just use software that support subtitle files like ConvertXtoDVD, FilmMachine and DVDSanta.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  5. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Would DVD Decrypter work? Because that is what I have. I also have Roxio and Sonic, will any of these work to burn the movie with subtitles on it? Thanks

6. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Oh, I also have WINAVIVideoConverter

7. OneMember

OneMember Active member

If you don't have software that support subtitles, you need to burn subbs to a film.
    Note. it really will be permanent...

Use Virtualdub(MOD) to do that. Then u can burn it using software u like.
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272736

EDIT: with DVD Decrypter you can only burn iso images...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  8. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

permanant is exactly what I want. I use FFDshow so I figured out how to VIEW the subtitles but now I want it to be permanant so I can put it onto a DVD and have the subtitles on it. Can i use that program above to do so? Are there any other better programs? -thanks

9. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

I also need a program that wont leave a stupid watermark like convertxtodvd, I heard that dvdsanta is crap also. All I want is to be able to burn the movie to a DVD WITH subtitles. Thanks

10. OneMember

OneMember Active member

11. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

What does it mean to burn subs to a film. My situation is that I have an AVI movie without subtitles. I have the subtitles in a seperate srt format file. I want to burn the movie to a dvd with the subtitles on it. Can't anyone just tell me a simple FREE program that WON'T leave a watermark or any label on the video and will burn it with subtitles? Thanks

12. OneMember

OneMember Active member

FilmMachine

13. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

That film machine makes you have some stupid thing called Cinema Craft Encoder which is not free. I am seriously getting annoyed because this is becoming way more difficult than it needs to be... I just want one program to do the job for me without messing up. Thanks

14. deepburn

deepburn Member

If your subtitles are in a .srt file (text format) then you can use the freeware program AVI2DVD to convert the avi and srt to an ISO image file that can be burned to DVD. See the guide here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avi_to_dvd_avi2dvd.cfm

If the subtitles are in a .sub file as stated in your initial post, I believe you have to convert them to .srt files first using VobSub or SubRip? This means converting from bit map to text which is a bit of a tedious process. They use an ocr-like utility that displays each character and you have to enter the corresponding character from your keyboard. Anyone know an easier way?

15. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

I have the subtitles in both .srt and .sub. Both types. I also tried using avitodvd and it didn't work. For some reason there was an error. I don't know if it had to do with the codecs or what but it just didnt work. I have ffdshow and everything. Is there any other better program that will work?

16. deepburn

deepburn Member

Sorry, Avi2DVD is the only free one I've used. If nobody else replies with a different freeware solution you might try posting the Avi2DVD log (Avi2dvd_log.txt) on the trustfm site to see if someone can identify why you're getting the error.
    I've used it many times successfully - it might be just a minor problem that is easily corrected.

17. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

hmmm ok. Also movie is in widescreen format that I have. When I go to merge the subtitles with the movie it asks me whether to put it into 4:3 or 16:9. Should I'm using a regular 4:3 tv but does that mean i make the movie 4:3? or should I make it 16:9 since the movie is widescreen format. Thanks

18. deepburn

deepburn Member

Personally, I'd leave it in 16:9 widescreen format (unless you can't stand watching it with the black bars top and bottom). I haven't tried changing the aspect ratio when using Avi2Dvd but I suspect you would lose some picture quality when doing so.

19. fnt

fnt Member

Hey guys i have found your forum very helpfull in order to put subs onto my avi film!!But i have a problem i follow the guide to put greek subs with srt2sup, tmpgenc and ifo edit in a lost episode season 3 episode 1 but the only result i got was the film with no subs but only with a green thing what's wrong can anyone help??i am from greece is it wrong i put ntsc than pal??I 've been trying to put subs in a film about seven days without result!!!Please help!!
    Thank you very much

20. fnt

fnt Member

Hey guys i have found your forum very helpfull in order to put subs onto my avi film!!But i have a problem i follow the guide to put greek subs with srt2sup, tmpgenc and ifo edit in a lost episode season 3 episode 1 but the only result i got was the film with no subs but only with a green thing what's wrong can anyone help??i am from greece is it wrong i put ntsc than pal??I 've been trying to put subs in a film about seven days without result!!!Please help!!
    Thank you very much!