1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please.....

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Morph416, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Remove the "Check this box, if you want to get email notifications when new messages are added to this thread." checked by default option. I, like most users probably, click on the post button before realizing we're subscribing to every thread we post on.

I'd rather have the option of checking the box myself, having it off, rather than on...by default.

Just a thought.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I disagree, as I like getting notified of thread updates.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i 2nd djscoop's comment as i can do a quick check in my mail & be able to reply quickly without going thru the whole site

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I triple djscoop's rebuttal to your suggestion.

How can you place a post asking a question or making a suggestion without wanted to know the outcome or answer another members question in regards to what you commented on?

That’s like a hit and run, not staying at the scene until help arrives…

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately for you I think more folks approve of the feature than don't. It's also handy for when I teleport threads - without the email you won't know where it went ;)

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You come back to the thread... :)

Like I posted...it was just a thought. I'll just have to have this all forwarded to a junk mail folder in case I miss unchecking the box.

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

eh....this board without an edit button...

ah....the wonders of a search the forum button... ;)

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

You can also go to the my account tab(top of the page) and list all of your subscribed threads and unsubscribe to them if you forget to uncheck the box. Unfortunately this results in another e-mail titled "Unsubcribe Succesful" or something similar.

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

There is an edit button ... right side of your post looks like this [​IMG]

Alot of newbies and junior members don't use it.

You can always unsubscribe from the thread

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sorry morph, didn't mean to piss on your parade, I just think the majority of people who post here daily like getting subscribed to the threads they've posted on...

edited 4 typo

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Morph416

Yes you can always go back to the thread to check, or just wait until you receive an email showing that a response happened with a convenient link to take you there, especially when some replies can take several days.

I truly believe that the more you post, the more you will find this as a convenience, rather then a nuisance, especially if you have 20 or more threads active at one time. Like zippyd mentioned, you can always go into Your Account and manually remove the threads that you no longer wish to subscribe to, or of course, just un-tick the thread you feel does not require a notice to your post.

12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

one thing i would like to see is on the subsvribed thread page, have some way of selecting all threads. It would be alot easier than manually selecting thread after thread after thread. Maybe something like a drag down box so you can un subscribe bar the current ones

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Amen to that!!!!

Something like select all, then maybe un-ticking the ones you still want or use of Shift Key + Click to select between certain threads.

14. Nephilim

One possible solution would be an option in the My Account page that would allow you to select by default whether you want to subscribe to all threads or not while still leaving the normal options for a thread by thread basis. I've no idea how much work that would be for our already overworked Admins.

15. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No djs....you're not. This is why it's a discussion... ;)

No worries...just have to make sure when I'm in a thread to watch the ones I might be interested in seeing responses....I'm just a creature of habit...and I usually make the effort to return to the whole forum, and not just the one thread.

That all depends literally, on what kind of board, and code it's written on. But, yeah..as you said...modifications not part of the typical code package can be a downfall to those who already have their plates full.

16. Nephilim

I like it because I'm normally invloved in quite a few threads. Couple that with my terrible memory and you get alot of threads where the poor souls would otherwise end up wondering where the heck I went off to. After I take care of the email notices I'll cruise through all the updated forums for anything interesting. Best of both worlds for me :)

17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

deadcat,
    I suggested this a while back when drD posted the "Ideas how to develop the forum software further?" thread. I saw that he had plans to do it to PMs so I suggested the subscribed threads list as well.