1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the Audio be ripped from a DVD?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dief123, Dec 30, 2003.

1. BazNZ

BazNZ Member

Where and What type of DVD would you find with DVD- Audio Format? Aren't all DVD's in DVD-Video format?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Try the following places:
    Amazon
    http://www.dvd-audioworld.com/home.htm
    http://www.audaud.com/audaud/APR04/
    http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/

That should get you started.
    DVD-A is different to DVD-V, as it allows uncompressed LPCM audio at up to 24/96 in surround or 24/192 in stereo. Nothing gets thrown away as in Dolby Digital surround or DTS surround, and it is geared up for Audio as opposed to Video. You can also include Video_TS layers for compatibility if needed.

It's much, much better than SACD! (No HF noise, no serious shaping to improve the lousy information content of 1 bit audio etc.)

3. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Off-Topic:

Wilkes, you might find this amusing:
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org?showtopic=20252

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Tigre - thanks for that. I will have a good read of it later on.
    Have you seen the current issue of Resolution magazine by any chance? There is a wonderful article in there about how good 16/44.1 CD can be when done correctly.
    One of the best parts is the section where the author, John Watkinson, talks about information theory and the way it applies to Digital Audio. 16 bit samples can specify 65,536 levels of information whereas 1 bit carries 2. To make the audio as good, SACD woud need a sample rate 32,000 times higher than CD, which it does not have, so it relies on noise shaping instead - shoving all the offensive stuff up into the HF range. SACD apparently sounds better when played through a phase linear 20KHz low pass filter as it gets rid of more noise. Sony cannot admit this, as it makes a mockery of their marketing which is telling users they can hear ridiculousy high frequencies!
    He closes with
    "It's human to bame the equipment when quality is poor. If only I had 192KHz everything will be alright, even though I don't know a thing about audio. Really"

We all know that poor converter design is the main reason a lot of folks believe they can hear the difference between 44.1 KHz and 96 KHz, or even 192KHz. It's all marketing hype, driven by companies that need to sell in volume to make the profits demanded by shareholders. Cynical? Not really. I can assure all readers that although I can hear the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit audio, I certainly cannot hear the difference between 48KHz and 96KHz. Even the AES recommend a maximum sample rate of 60KHz to capture absolutely everything, and no higher.

If you notice a difference between 48KHz and 96KHz, you need to buy some decent converters.

I can scan the article & mail it to you, if you are interested. It's in issue 3.3, April 2004.

Also a very good item from Thomas Lund (TC Electronics) about how CD levels are too hot these days. Without a trace of irony either!

5. lotrmanny

lotrmanny Member

Hi Wilkes,
    You are correct the DVD Audio Ripper does not rip the DVD Audio format. But in my case that's not what I was looking to do. As in other threads I've read it appeared that other users were in the same boat as me. I was trying to rip the audio files off a movie or video DVD and the applications I had tried were either not intuitive or they were expensive. When I tried DVD Audio Ripper it was quick, easy and it worked great. I just wanted to share that with the rest of the forum.

6. jucy

jucy Member

Yeah. ImToo DVD Audio Ripper. Easy to handle, and you can choose to output WAV or mp3.

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

see post 7 of this thread.

8. clsgman

clsgman Member

Hey guys. This is an old thread but I'm hoping some of you will answer. Been using DVD Audio Ripper to rip tracks from DVD-Video concerts. But are the Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks I'm ripping retaining their multichannel quality. When I play the burned CDs on my Pioneer 563-A, the Dolby logo does not light up on my A/V receiver? Is there a program that can verify that I have copied all 6 channels?

If I haven't extracted the 6 channels, what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I believe that DVD-Audio ripper does not rip the multichannel Dolby Digital files.
    To get these, you will be better off using DVDDecrypter

There are several very good guides on this on AfterDawn as to how to do this.

If you still have difficulty, please let me know.