1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can u check a ds rom on the pc?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by kazza71, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kazza71

kazza71 Guest

Hi all, just wondering if there is a way to check if a nds rom is working or not on the pc. I am waiting for the m3 simply to arrive & have got some nds roms. How will i know if they are going to work on the ds? thanks.

2. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

use a ds emulator. it will crash at some point, but at least u'll know if it's worth bothering.
    btw, where do you get the backups? i use ds-rom-news(http://drn.dl.am/). they always work for me. also, watch out for bad roms (homebrew usually), use moonshell to check for them (homebrew can be spotty when used on the simply however; some work, most don't)

3. kazza71

kazza71 Guest

Thanks i have the desmume but wasnt sure if this was a reliable way to check. any others that may be better? I found this site for roms www.nintendo-ds-roms.com hope this helps u. Dont know how good they are. With that site u told me do u have to change the filename or anything? Thanks.

4. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

1. DeSmuME (the best)
    2. DS iDeaS
    3. Nintendo Ensata
    4. DualiS DS
    5. DSemu (F4)
    ~from ndsemulator.com~

you just search the roms you want, dl it, open up the .zip folder, open up the containing folder, open up the other .zip folder; and there you have it, the backup. it's named like this [XYZ-TRM.NDS]. when the game's name would be Xxxxx Yyy Zzzzzzz and the ripper would be "trashman" that's why you get the "-TRM..."(may also be at the front). so you may want to change the name to something a little more descriptive; not too much of a hassle(and do all caps because some homebrew/backups do all caps, and that gives them higher priority on the list, making them appear first). from what i've seen, they are the same backups from nintendo ds roms(a trusted site) since the files from the same rippers are being used, i assume. i use this site because i didn't want to get eMule installed and all. i would assume it has the same quality as ndsroms.

5. kazza71

kazza71 Guest

So if a game doesnt work on the emulator does this mean it wont work on the ds simply?

6. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

no. completely wrong. pc emulators are not for testing roms, they are used for testing homebrew.
    just check a compatability list to see if the rom works or not.