1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you add subtitles to an .avi file?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by rst64tlc, Apr 8, 2007.

1. rst64tlc

rst64tlc Member

Can you add subtitles to an .avi file? if so, where can I download the program, that is freeware?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Depends what you mean by add subtitles.
    AVI-Mux GUI can mux subtitles into an avi. Otherwise there are various methods for hard encoding subtitles into the video of an avi.

3. rst64tlc

rst64tlc Member

What I mean is , can you sync, add, or mix typed up text into an .avi file for subtitles that is freeware?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For syncing, try Subtitle Workshop. The rest I already covered.

5. OneMember

OneMember Active member

You can use Subtitle Workshop to make/edit subtitles that works with .avi files.

You can use Virtualdub(MOD) to burn subtitles to video file.
    (this is only needed if your standalone dvd-player does not support subtitle files)

Note, to see subtitles in your movies, you need to have VobSub or ffdshow installed. You also need to put your subtitle file and movie file in same folder with same name...

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Subtitle Workshop should work with any video that can be played back via directshow. For instance it works fine here with mp4's.

7. Trojan101

Trojan101 Member

Hey folks, I hope this question is in the right place.

My objective is to convert MKV files to AVI files so that I can encode them to DVD. I don't care about having both audio tracks. I'm happy if I can get one audio track and the subtitle track all hard encoded into it.

VirtualDubMod will not demux the audio file (AAC) but MKVExtract did. When I attempted to add the subtitle to the AVI in VirtualDubMod, it showed an estimated time of 49 days! I tried using AVIMux Gui and it will combine the video and audio but the subtitles will not stick. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!