1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you backup DVD onto BLU-RAY

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Adamontar, May 26, 2007.

1. Adamontar

Adamontar Member

I have a huge dvd collection over $4000 worth, and over 1100 episodes of tv shows. It would be very convenient to backup all these movies and tv series onto blu-ray, as you can fit up to 15 45min episodes on a single layered blu-ray disc. Is it possible?

thanks

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

sure it is, you could put it as data and put a whole bunch more that way, the question is do you have a blu-ray burner? and a blu-ray player, and just think if you don't get the burn right you waste $25.00 per disk, just something to look foward to good luck

3. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Do they not have RW Blu-Ray disc out yet?

4. jwerner

jwerner Member

A BD-RW disc came with my Sony vaio laptop w/ blu-ray-r drive. This is a very valid question and surely someone knows how to do this. I'm guessing that it is possible...But how I do not know myself. Anyone out there help us out on this one. A BD should hold up to 5 regular dvds in capacity so this would be really neat. Anyone?

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you won't find much help here. blu-ray burning technology is still very expensive and very few members have converted on any level at all.

6. slayer88

slayer88 Member

Can I copy then burn an hd-dvd or a blue ray dvd onto a regular dvd-r or dvd+r?Also, which is the best copying and burning software out there?

7. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

i was wondering the same question
    is there any external burner available on bluray
    me and my buddy want to shae the cost on burner
    if u backup our bd movies are we able to play on bluray player

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

There are some external BR but I'm not sure if they are OEM. The cheapest I've seen is $460 for an internal SATA. There probably isn't any reason why you couldn't buy an internal and put it in your own enclosure as long as you have burning software. At $12 plus per SL disk, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

9. slayer88

slayer88 Member

I was still wondering which software that is out now is best for backing-up blu-ray & hd-dvd's? Is it possible to burn it on a regular blank DVD-R or DVD+R? Thanks everyone. I hope I'm in the right section of the forum.

10. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

@Adamontar: Are there any shoppes in your area that do wedding video? Or transfer to DVD or BluRay? Give them a call & let them know what you want to do. They might be able to offer a decent price; as long as you have the original DVD & it looks legit most companies in the biz don't give a damn about copyright. If you get some quotes, let us know how much they're charging.

BluRay burners are so early in the cycle, it's better to wait 1-2yrs for prices to fall. Or buy now & get extended warranty for 1-2 yrs. Then trade in for newer if it goes bad.