1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you copy a DVD-R disc with DVDplus burner?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chris3881, Dec 6, 2004.

1. chris3881

chris3881 Member

I have a DVD-R copy of a wedding that I am trying to copy for several family members. I have a DVD+RW burner.

Can I do that?

Thanks

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi chris3881, If your +R burner can read the -R disc (it should) then there isn't a problem. Just use any burning program that has a dvd copy disc function. Let the burner read the -R disc then when it asks for blank media insert the +R blank. Good Luck.

Jerry

3. chris3881

chris3881 Member

Thank you. It worked. My first copy didn't work for whatever reason.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad you got it working. Remember to use a good grade of blank media. The cheap blanks end up costing you more money and problems because of the coasters you end up with. Have fun.

Jerry

5. chris3881

chris3881 Member

I have attempted to make 3 copies of my DVD (using some DVDs I bought in a 50-pack on sale) and two have failed with a file error, although the error message implies that it was a problem reading the original. Is that likely to be a problem with my cheap DVDs? How can you tell what is a high-quality DVD?

Thanks

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey chris3881,You can download a program called www.dvdinfopro.com .Also check out www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm. You can use these to find out what co. made your discs. A little simple thing you can do is if you are buying them in a store,look for made in japan on the wrapper. You usually can't go wrong with Japan.Later

7. chris3881

chris3881 Member

I see my DVDs are Memorex. I'm having about half of them show up with an error message, but they seem to work OK.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

50% failure rate is about right with Memorex media at this time. They are buying their blanks from CMC Mag which makes very poor quality discs. Steer clear of them for now.

Jerry

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey chris, on those backups using memorex,even the ones that burned ok may give you problems in other stand alone burners.Especially when they are of your wedding and for your family members.Plus from what i have been reading on these forums, the dyes in the cheaper media are breaking down faster than the High quality media.Sometimes in 6 months. Just a little info you might want to know for those precious backups.Bye

10. chris3881

chris3881 Member

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a brand you recommend?

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey chris3881,a lot of people here like the ty youden's. I haven't tried them yet. If you are recording + format only,then the Branded verbatim +8x is the best I have found.These are made in japan by mitsubishi chemical co. coded mcc-003.The verbatim digital movie +4 seems to be pretty good,coded mcc-002,however they said they were made in taiwan. I just got 100 of these from best buy for$45.00.I am having no trouble playing these on other stand alones and no coasters. The verbatim +4x media life,made in taiwan,are not too bad. Probable 2nd class media.Only 1 coaster in last 47 of spindle. As you can see,I love verbatim. In the - format, I love maxell yellow tops coded mxl-rgo2.Good luck on those backups.bye

12. Puner

Puner Member

i have a problem like that to, i went on a trip to visit family. I made a dvd of it. Now my family wants a copy of the dvd. I have a DVD+R burner, so how do i begin the process.

13. chris3881

chris3881 Member

As far as I can tell, it's not a problem to take a DVD-R and convert it into a plus R. I have Record Now! software and it reads the minus and then records the plus. That's the good news. Hopefully that will work for you.

The problem I'm having is that at the final end of the recording phase, where it is "verifying", my process breaks down with an error message 3 of 5 times. I think that is probably my cheap Memorex DVDs, based on the messages I've gotten. Unfortunately I have 50 of them.