1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you copy straight from one xbox hard drive to another

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by geeny, Apr 7, 2005.

1. geeny

geeny Guest

I've finally got my xbox chipped and am ready to start copying games to the hard drive. To save me the bother of doing it one disk at a time, is it possible to copy them straight from my friends xbox hard drive to mine.

2. modster

modster Regular member

yes, you can use winhiip

3. geeny

geeny Guest

I'm new to all this mate.......what is winhiip.

cheers
    geeny

4. modster

modster Regular member

oh, my mistake.

I am also helping people on Playstation 2. Winhiip is for Playstation 2 hard drive copy.

What you need is FlashFXP.

first ftp to the xbox that has all the games on the hard drive using flashfxp, then just copy all the games from the xbox to your PC.

last, ftp to your xbox using flashfxp, create games folder usually in e:\ drive. Then just copy all the games to your xbox.

by the way, I hope that you have all the originals to the games you are copying. Thus, I totally do not like helping someone that copy games without the originals.

cheers

5. geeny

geeny Guest

thanx for the help. will give it a go and let you know how I get on

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

If you run unleashed or avalaunch as a dash they both have built in file managers that will autio detect an xbox that is connected to it (with 2 cat5's and a hub/router,or with a crosswired cable). You can then just transfer files back and forth that way.

7. mobiblu12

mobiblu12 Guest

can u also copy ur regular files if u havent already softmodded, like ur xbox live account and saved crap

8. geeny

geeny Guest

That sounds an easy way of doing it so why am I still stuck ?? Right. I connected the crossover cable to the two xboxs, went to Avalaunch file manager but could not see where to transfer the files from. Do both the xboxs need to be running avalaunch as the one I want to transfer the files from has exox, not avalaunch.
    Also, does the other one need to be connected to a tv while doing this (prob a stupid question)

Thanks. Geeny

9. punqewe

punqewe Active member

good point-I have had a couple mods that have had to by either connected to a tv or at least have the av jack pluged into the xbox for it to take a connection. And about both machines having avalaunch or inleashed....as long as one of them have it you're good to go. It will however transfer faster if both have the dash. Also the auto config will work if they both have unleashed....no settings to change it looks for the xbox and finds it for you. Other than that all you would have to do is set both boxes to a static IP and then from one just change the settings in the file manager so that it's set to REMOTE and then set up the network settings to connect to the other xbox. You might have to reboot the machines though.

10. geeny

geeny Guest

just had a thought (ouch). if i transfer the files I take it it will be moving the files from my friends xbox to mine which I don't think he will be happy about. Can I just copy his files on to my hard drive this way ?
    What's the static ip address mean ?

11. punqewe

punqewe Active member

usually with the file managers it will COPY the file opver to the other machine.....I think unleashed has a MOVE option. The static IP is in your network settings of the dashboard.....check the tutorials for info on this.