1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you help me fix my xbox? error #6

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by dabommbj, Apr 7, 2005.

1. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

Hi guys. I have an xbox that the hard drive went bad. I've been doing some reading around in the forums and still no luck on how to fix it. I have a working hard drive from another xbox and would like to use it if possible. From what i've been reading, i think you can use a pc hard drive but i need to know the password to the old one to lock the new one. Any help would be great.

2. Squiggles

Squiggles Member

The only way to install and lock a new HDD to your Motherboard is to Mod the Xbox.

3. etsmith3

etsmith3 Member

by any chance do you have the eeprom or hdd key?
    If you have these you can use a tool called HDM, this tool will allow you to put a hdd in your cpu on master alone boot from a cd it creates, and create a hdd for your xbox, but it needs your eeprom or hdd key.
    If you have these it should work for you, other than that, your best bet is to try to see if you can get that hdd to work, cause with out that key, your xbox is pretty much SOL, cause like the person before said, each HDD is locked to its motherboard, so you need that key to lock the new HDD with the same pass.
    P.S. is that other xbox hdd locked? and if so do you have the xbox it goes to in order to unlock it?

4. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

Hey Squiggles so if i mod my xbox then can i unlock the hard drive that i have? The hard drive is from another xbox, but its locked.

5. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

No etsmith3 i do not have the eeprom or hard drive key because i never modded my xbox so i couldnt make a backup of my hard drive. and yes the hard drive is locked but no i do not have the xbox that goes with it, all i have is the hard drive. I already ordered a spider chip and Im going to try what Squiggles suggested. Thanx

6. Squiggles

Squiggles Member

In order to lock a HDD to your Motherboard it already needs to be unlocked. If it's not unlocked then you can not unlock it without the key from the Eeprom that it was locked with. If you have the key or the Eeprom Chip itself then it is the only way you will be able to unlock the HDD and re-lock to another Board.

7. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

OR replace the xbox entirely and start over .

8. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

yeah i agree with jwmc1971 if your not going to mod your xbox ther is no way to get a new harddrive. so just say this to your xbox "fu*# you, you piece of sh*t" and go buy a new xbox. lol
    pacman33

9. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

I already ordered a spider modchip, so hopefully i can it working again.

10. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

ok thats good. have fun.
    pacman33

11. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

Ok guys i got my spider chip and i installed it with no problem. I flashed it with evox m8 bios. But now i get error #16 when i boot it up. any suggestions. I was thinking that now that i have the hard drive unlocked if i can fix it with xhdm?

12. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

ok error code 16 is a dashboard error. make sure you have a new dashboard and bios. the place to get both of them is at xbins. just search the fourms for the keyword "xbins" without the ""'s and you will know how to use them all.
    later,
    pacman33

13. k2rid3r

k2rid3r Member

etsmith3 (Newbie) 8. April 2005 @ 08:48
    by any chance do you have the eeprom or hdd key?
    If you have these you can use a tool called HDM, this tool will allow you to put a hdd in your cpu on master alone boot from a cd it creates, and create a hdd for your xbox, but it needs your eeprom or hdd key.
    If you have these it should work for you, other than that, your best bet is to try to see if you can get that hdd to work, cause with out that key, your xbox is pretty much SOL, cause like the person before said, each HDD is locked to its motherboard, so you need that key to lock the new HDD with the same pass.
    P.S. is that other xbox hdd locked? and if so do you have the xbox it goes to in order to unlock it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ok i just installed a new eeprom on my xbox after installing a new hd so i can play on xbox live, but now i get a error 6 message when i boot with/without the mod chip actice and when i press power and eject to lock it it says it cant read the drive. Any ideas how to fix this ? o btw i have the serial, hdd key for my eeprom

14. Andoru

Andoru Member

config magic is a great program
    found in the usual places..
    hope this helps

15. k2rid3r

k2rid3r Member

what does it do?

16. Andoru

Andoru Member

it locks and unlocks hdd with easy..
    that program is like pure gold and hard to find...
    but go to www.xbins.org for more info

17. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

Well guys i installed the chip and i still couldnt unlock the hard drive from my other xbox so i gave up on that because i think its impossible to unlock it without the eeprom or the hard drive password. But i used a normal pc hard drive and my xbox works like new now. Thanks for all your help guys.

18. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

Hey k2rid3r make sure that the hard drive jumper is in master or cs.

19. k2rid3r

k2rid3r Member

dabommbj what is master or cs? How do i unlock my hard drive via my computer i tried to hook up after i took out my cd drive and stuck in the 200 gb but it didnt read into it any ideas? btw on my comp i have the orignial eeprom saved . i jsut want my xbox to work. did i mess up the motherboard?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  20. dabommbj

dabommbj Member

The hard drive has a jumper in the back where you plug in the power and the IDE cables. As you can see you can put it in different spots. You have to check and place the jumper in the master position other wise the xbox wont be able to reasd your hard drive. If you have the eeprom then it shouldnt be a problem to unlock it and format it from your computer. I used a program called hdm. When you download the program it comes with a read me and it tells you how to use the program, its not hard. do you have a chip installed in your xbox?