1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you hook a router into a router?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by capnpooh, Jun 7, 2007.

1. capnpooh

capnpooh Member

^^^Topic
    I have two devices that require internet in my room and one ethernet cable coming from a router, so my easiest bet i think would be to gt a cheap router and not another 30 ft. ethernet cable.

I was just wondering if that was possible.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes you can but why because what you posted doesn't make sense. your easiest bet is to use another cable to other device as you would have to do that from the 2nd router unless wireless but you'll need a wireless card or adapter.

3. capnpooh

capnpooh Member

Well, my mother doesnt want anymore giant cables running through the house so i just want to split the one i have somehow, and i dont know of any simple ethernet splitters except for routers. if there is a simpler device or way that you guys see to do this, then please tell me.

4. ddp

by what method is the 2nd router going to connect to both the 1st router & 2nd device?

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

So as far as I am able to comprehend this is you situation....

You have you cable modem/router etc. You have one cable running out of said modem/router. Now if the setup I just described is what you are stuck with I believe what you would be looking for is a ethernet hub.
    [​IMG]

Correct me if I am wrong ddp. But I believe they basically work by you plugging in the ethernet cable and then you have 4 ports/pc's that will be running of that same cable.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  6. ddp

PeaInAPod, you are correct

7. risus14

risus14 Member

If you have an antenna on your router buy a wireless pci card, but if you don't your screwed. Unless you want to spend money on a new wireless router and card.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thanks for the reassurance ddp, I wasn't 100% sure on that advice and wanted some elses opinion.

@capnpooh
    There is no need to buy a new wireless router and card, to do what you want to do you simply need a ethernet hub. A ethernet hub can be found for as cheap as $18 at places like Best Buy.

9. ddp

capnpooh, were is the router in relation to your room, inside or outside of room.

PeaInAPod, don't count out the wireless yet till he/she answers my post.