1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you make an NTSE disc from a PAL disc????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JCLUB, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JCLUB

JCLUB Member

Hi!

I'm getting a DVD movie from Australia, which is playable on DVD players there (PAL)format, but not playable on most US DVD players which can only play NTSE format.

I think I might be able to play it on my computer but I wanted to know if I can use some software to make a copy of it so it will play on my regular DVD player ...meaning take the PAL DVD movie, copy it and burn it as an NTSE DVD disc.

Can someone let me know if and how it can be done, and what software I should use.

Thank you!
    Stan

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Actually quite a few programs (e.g. Nero) can do that. However, sometimes you'll have to convert the files into other formats (e.g. mpeg) first.

3. EightPaws

EightPaws Member

Yes, scf_au is correct. Nero Vision Express can transcode from PAL to NTSC. I have done it but it takes a while. Depending on your hardware, it can take from 4 to 12 hours to transcode a 90 minute movie.

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

That's NTS[bold]C[/bold], not NTS[bold]E[/bold].

To elaborate on scf_au's post, you are going to have to "reauthor" the movie, using software capable of converting from PAL to NTSC format. NeroVision Express can do it. The steps would go something like this:

1. rip it to file (VIDEO_TS folder) with dvd decrypter

2. load up NeroVision Express, select "create a movie" and add the main VOB files to your project. Let NeroVision Express create the movie; it will see that the files are PAL and offer to convert them to NTSC. This will result in a new VIDEO_TS folder that you can now burn to dvd and watch on your NTSC dvd player.

3. be aware, though, that NeroVision Express may complain about the files not fitting on a 4.7 G dvd. In that case, go ahead and create the movie anyway, and then post process the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with dvd shrink or Nero Recode.

You were not expecting this to be easy, were you?

5. JCLUB

JCLUB Member

Actually, yeah. I thought this going to be easy. One click and done! Thanks everyone for your help.

Stan

6. JCLUB

JCLUB Member

One more thing. Is that PAL DVD from Australia going to play on my computer DVD player? The Australian company says yes, but can it really?

Thanks,
    Stan