1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you play HD DVDs in a upconvert DVD player?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by AngryWite, Jan 4, 2008.

1. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

If you can, will the picture be better than playing a regular dvd in an upconverter or the same?

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

No, you cant play HD-DVD's in a upconverter unless the disk is dual sided. Dual sided meaing it has DVD on one side and HD-DVD on the other.

3. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

But if an upconverter produces a 1080i signal, why cant it play an HD DVD?

4. gamename

gamename Regular member

dvd(or dvd upconvert) uses a red laser and hd and blueray uses a blue laser (thus the name BLUERAY). a blue laser is thinner than a red laser, so more data can be stored on the same amount of disc space. a red laser (standard dvd) cannot read a blue laser disk (hddvd and blueray) because of this. its like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak.

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

The upconverter is taking your 480p DVD source and is trying to mimic a resolution of 1920x1080. IMO, I don't think the signal looks anything like the true resolution of 1920x1080. Like gamename said below, they don't use the same laser, therefor the player cant read the disk.

6. VLJ

VLJ Member

Glad I bumped into this thread!! I was about to ask a similar question, and thought I take a look first.

We have a Toshiba D-R400 DVD Recorder we got as a "family" Christmas present. It is nice to record some of our DirecTV shows onto either DVD-R or the DVD-RW media and watch again.

I almost bought a HD DVD at Wal Mart last night to try it on our recorder. Good thing I didn't, else we would have a very nice collectors item, for us anyway.

My gut instincts tell me that HD DVD will drop the prices of machines and HD DVD disks so much in the future that they will squash the Blue Ray competition, even though Warner just signed on exclusive to Blue Ray.

I remember Sony Beta Max and VHS years ago. I bought a Beta Max because it had superior picture quality. It's drawback was the time it was able to play/record 90 minutes vs 120 with VHS, and the cost factor, together created their demise. Believe it or not, there are still professionals that use Beta Max for it's better quality.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The HD DVD players are backward compatible- they will play regular CDs/DVDs. Is the regular players that do not play HD discs.

8. voodooma

voodooma Regular member

only a hd dvd player with upscale can play both hd and reg dvds. so in order to play hd =hd dvd upscale=hd dvd plus upscale or just upscale

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@voodooma
    Correct.I guess I missread his post. I thought he was worried about not being able to play regular DVDs in a HD DVD player...

10. VLJ

VLJ Member

I was worried that my normal upscale regualr DVD recorder, a Toshiba would not play HD DVD or Blue Ray DVD which it will NOT. But a HD DVD will be backward compatible with regular DVD's, it just will not have the fidelity and crispness that comes with the HD DVD.

I suppose then that a HD DVD, like the one they have on sale at Wal Mart won't play Blue Ray disc then?

Make one that plays both and you're GOLDEN!

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

12. voodooma

voodooma Regular member

there is a toshiba hd+ upscale floating around for $179 if i recall correctly. either online or best buy. i think it was toshiba hd-a2 it only plays 1080i but it is an hd player also all hd player will upscale. best buy is selling a 1080p hd dvd player for $199 and a 1080i for $149

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008