1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you recommend DVD burner package

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by monaro57, Dec 27, 2004.

1. monaro57

monaro57 Member

Hey guys

I'm new here and don't know a lot about this stuff. Hopefully it's time to learn.

What do you recommend for a good dvd burner/software package? I want to be able to burn dvd's etc.

Tell me what you think of something like this:
    SAMSUNG 16x DUAL LAYER DVD Burner TS-H552 AUD$115
    Writing/Reading Speed: DVD+R: 16x
    DVD+R Dual Layer: 2.4x
    DVD+RW: 4x
    DVD-R: 12x
    DVD-RW: 4x
    DVD-Rom: 16x
    CD-R: 40x
    CD-RW: 32x
    CD-Rom: 48x
    Average Seek Time
    CD - 110ms
    DVD - 130ms
    Buffer Size 2MB

Package Contents

- Samsung 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner TS-H552
    - Owner's Manual
    - IDE Cable
    - Audio Cable
    - Mounting Screws

Software Included:

- NERO Express 6.3
    - InCD 4.0
    - InterVideo WinCinema 2
    - InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2
    - InterVideo WinDVD Recorder 5
    - InterVideo DVD Copy

Will this do dvd burning etc..?
    What does dual layer mean?

Thanks for your advice.

2. monaro57

monaro57 Member

Also what I'm looking at needs to be compatable with Windows 98SE

3. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

While I can't personally vouch for Samsung as I don't own anything from them,it looks like a very good drive to me, spec wise.

Oh it will definitely burn DVD's for you my friend, no question there LOL! :)

Dual layer, simply put means that the disc holds about 8.5g of data, as compared to a run-of-the-mill single layer disc which only hold about 4.32g of data. (4.7 on the box but that's misleading)

The biggest problem right now with DL media is the price, and the fact that they don't come in the re-writable variety...yet. Unless you find it on sale, the lowest I have seen is $30 US for a 3-pack. Which makes it a little hard to swallow should something go wrong and you make a pop-can coaster. Hope this helps a little! :)

4. havingfun

havingfun Member

I just received the DL Samsung DVD burner TS-H552 for Xmas present last week. Installed the burner and began using right away including copying DVD movies and game disks as well. I used "EL CHEAPO" DVD blanks for copying movies and game disks and it works wonderfully so far. This blank disk cost about 24 cents each when you buy them in 50 packs. It is store brand and doesn't even have its manufacturers labels. I used high quality Verbatim DVD blanks before but now I can use these cheap disks now. Many people claims cheap blank disks will not last long but so far so good. I will report if my cheap disks start to fail me. So far, this drive works wonder in my computer. Don't hesitate to buy this Samsung DVD burner. Good luck in your purchase.

5. havingfun

havingfun Member

Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't install InCD 4.0 among the softwares that are included. It conflicts with my other burning software. It may not be same as your computer but better to be safe than sorry.

6. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I can personally vouch for Plextor's burners. I have ordered the new PX-716, but its on backorder for an unknown time. It comes with PlexTools Pro, which is pretty cool if you can find a use for it. Also, how much do you want to spend? If it's not that much, then I would suggest the Samsung because Nero is the best, and it would cost a lot to get it separate. InCD doesn't seem to affect anything as long as you use Nero.

Just a piece of advice (not necessarily affecting you): disable Slysoft's AnyDVD if you have it before burning anything, as it seems to cause many problems like burns failing and burns going too fast for half the burn and too slow the other half.

7. monaro57

monaro57 Member

Thanks for the advice.
    I notice that some of these burners say minimum requirements are pentium 4 with this and that....... I have an older computer (AMD 750MHz 256MB RAM Windows98SE). My question is are the minimum requirements for the software or the burner itself?

And would this samsung burner run on my computer? What about the software?

8. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

AMD 750MHz 256MB RAM Windows98SE, if it works at all, would have to be the bare minimum for dvd backups. Just encoding the movie (use shrink its free) will probably take hours. A ram upgrade minimum might be in order. Also with a FAT32 hd you will have to split your files (shrink and decrypter do this)

If you havnt already bought the samsung, might i recommend the pioneer 108/A08. Same specs cept 4x DVD+R DL. And heaps of firmware upgrades available. And comes with nero. And costs around $109 AUD

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I agree, 98 sucks, FATS is crap. Get XP, NTFS is a far superior file system. I have 2 108s, they are marvellous. I have a samsung combi drive, it is too unreliable to read dvds. I do not know what their dvd burners are like though. Most here like NEC, Pioneer, plextor. Get at least 512 RAM, otherwise you will be struggling.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  10. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

i got an addition advice. Don't worry much about the speed since u will end up burning at 1x or 2x anyway for error free and compatibility sake. So if ur planning on buying a dvd drive, just buy the 1 that is able to burn at 1x or at least 2x. Burning at 8x is just optional, and so is dual layer burner.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Most here get very good results burning at 4x, including myself. Have not had a failure yet. The dual layer capability is handy as it keeps your burner futureproof. Eventually the media will come down to a reasonable level, eventually!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  12. Ikaruga

Ikaruga Member

Hy... Does anyone that the samsung fails have windows xp(sp2)... It seems to me that my problem started when I tried to burn dvd's in xp(sp2) with xp(sp1) it wasn't a problem. I not't sure but i think it's sp2...

13. havingfun

havingfun Member

I have this Samsung DVD burner with Window XP (SP2) and no problem for me.

14. monaro57

monaro57 Member

Hey guys

My computer will run Win2000, just takes a while to load. If I loaded up Win2000 would this help with being more compatable with others burners and therefore allowing me to burn dvds?
    I imagine it would still run very slow?

15. Ikaruga

Ikaruga Member

Hello HavingFUN...what's the version of the Aspi drivers you use?.I tried the last version and it didnt recognize my dvd as a recorder in some programs.
    Programs to record?
    Any special driver?
    Does anybody use dvd-r "princo"?
    Thank you all.

16. havingfun

havingfun Member

Ikaruga,

My Samsung burner is using standard IDE ATAPI driver, I don't know if that's the info you are looking for but let me know if you want me to look for any specific file. But I did upgraded my firmware from Samsung download site. I am currently using DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, and Nero Ultra Edition 6.0 along with couple of other burning programs but those three are the main one that I use. I have been using following blank dvdrs with Samsung burner: Maxell DVD-R 8X, SONY DVD-R 4X, Verbatim DVD+R 8X, and some cheap no name store brands both DVD-/+Rs with very good success rate. Most of the coasters were results of my mistakes and few before my firmware update but since firmware update, I haven't made any coaster yet even the cheap medium.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  17. Ikaruga

Ikaruga Member

Today my dvd-rw went to the shop.. they are going to see what is the problem... I upgraded the formware to TS06 everything sems to be working fine but it keeps giving an error at +- 90% .. How mucht can you realy put on a 4,7gb dvd-r? When i tested the dvd-r with nero cd/dvd speed it started to read slowly at the end of the dvd.Could this speed problem be connected with the fact that it usualy stop burning at 90%? (sory the english)

18. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

It is possible that the problem is with the quality of your media. Cheap media often has problems towards the edge of the disc, and it is best to shrink movies to 4300 instead of 4464. if burning data then also best not to fill the disc. try that or using good quality media like verbatim, tdk or fuji

19. menalike

menalike Guest

Hey yall, iam a newbee with a problem.
    i just got a samsung dual layer burner(SAMSUNG 16x DUAL LAYER DVD Burner TS-H552)its attached to my laptop via usb 2.0 .i cant seem to get it to burn dvd-r's it burns the dvd+r with nero. it start the burn process and fails at 1%
    i have made about 10 coasters. need help please.also my dell laptop has a dvd+r burner

dell inspiron 5100
    512mb
    60gb
    dvd+/cd burner
    using windows xp
    firmware up
    updated t06 form samsung
    nero updated

20. gigabite

gigabite Guest

you need a firmware upgrade..go to samsung's website and download newest version...should then be able to recognize more media