1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you remove DVD content using Nero?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DGenerate, Oct 20, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]Er...sorry to pester you bigorange [/bold]

Don't worry, that's what we're here for :>)

I was talking about downloaded files or VHS files or files from TV to use with NVE. It will convert those files to DVD compliant and you can leave the ones out you don't want as long as they are listed seperately. Such as commercials, etc. Then you can create a menu for these files with chapters which enables you to navigate your DVD you made.

If you are using a DVD as a source it already has a menu and th e files are already DVD files. You can use Nero Recode or shrink 3.2 or any of many others to edit, re-author and/or compress. Then burn your backup.

No need to use NVE with a DVD as your source video. Does that make sense now? :>)

Oh yeah, yes you can remove previews with this method.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]what would happen if that missing content was selected from the menu?[/bold]

Editing in the menu could very well destroy your menu function. I always leave the menu alone, if you do that you might as well re-author and only burn what you want. It will not have a menu that way either and you'll take up less space.

By editing in extras and raising compression on what you keep, and substituting still image for what you don't want, you can usually reduce compression enough to make a good backup quality wise unless the files are extremely large.

If it is really big and you want to keep everything you could split it into two discs, all extras on one and movie only on the other. Substitute still image for each one on each disc and leave menu alone and it will function on each disc. You'll then have a movie disc and a bonus feature disc and you won't have to switch in the middle of the movie :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  3. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Ergh...I think you've answered my question ("Oh yeah, yes you can remove previews with this method.") but I'm not sure if we're speaking at cross purposes here :)

Let me start from the beginning. Some DVDs have previews that play before you get to the main menu.

Rather than disabling them in Recode/Shrink, I'd like to totally eliminate them, because I'd rather not have 3 minutes of blank screen before the menu comes up. That would just confuse my mother, on the off chance that I were to lend her a DVD :-D

Anyway, that's where I thought NVE might help. But usually, you can access those movie previews from the main menu. So, if I were to remove them, but didn't edit the menu itself, how would that affect the burned DVD? Would that menu item just no longer do anything? Would this cause the DVD to be unplayable? Would my DVD player explode?

Having said all that, if Nero isn't really suited to the task, can you recommend an app - preferably free - that would do the job? I don't need anything super-fancy. I just want to eliminate, rather than disable, the BS (previews, FBI warnings, soundtrack ads, etc) while leaving the rest of the disc intact.

Thanks for your help. Cheers!

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

There is an excellent app for doing what you wish, but it isn't free. It's called DvdReMake, and it's the best editing tool out there today and has tons of uses.

I would get the Pro version since the other one doesn't handle multiple angles and interleaving. it cost 40.00 and I think well worth it. :>)

5. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Thanks again, bigorange. You're starting to become my personal backup trainer! ;-)

I've had a look at DvdReMake Pro...it looks good, and at $40, it won't break the bank.

Do you use it yourself? Do you use any other authoring software?

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

DGenerate, Thanx, LOL.

I use Remake all the time. I just used it to join a flipper disc onto one disc(A Time To Kill) and keep the original menu by combining the two menus into one which operates the entire dvd including scenes, extras, previews, etc. and made the movie seamless at the join point. There's not another app out there that can do that.

I then ran those files thru DvdRebuilder/CCE basic and it turned out perfect with no noticeable loss of quality. RB/CCE is the best app on the market for large amts. of compression. I have compressed over 50% with it and you couldn't tell the copy from the original. It has no editing other than foreign audio tracks because it doesn't need editing.

Yes, I have several authoring programs I use depending on the situation, DvdLab, NeroVisionExpress 3, TMPGEnc DVD Author, and Adobe Premiere Pro. I'm thinking about getting Sony Architect, but it sports a pretty hefty price tag.

I like messing around with DVD structure and creating menus, the more I get into it, the more I realize I don't know squat,LOL ;>)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One other note, DvdReMake's new 2.6 version now has a feature that will automatically enable you to put two discs on one with a menu that lets you choose which disc you wish to view while letting each keep it's own menu function.

They are constantly updating the program, cheers to dimad and his crew :>)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  8. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Yeah, no kidding.

I know just enough to do most of what I want to do for now, and I know what to learn for the rest.

A big thanks to you for your help, bigorange...along with everyone else who's contributed, not just to my posts, but to the AD forums in general. Cheers! :)