1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you seperate audio from HDMI to coax at the source?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by mbenson, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mbenson

mbenson Member

I have rather enjoyed reading the knowledge out there. I have been looking through the site for a while now, and the same names keep popping up. It's good to see that people still help other people, and share their knowledge.

I have an issue, in that my receiver has 3 Component Video inputs, no HDMI, with one out, acting as a switch. It also has 1 coax audio in, and 2 TOSLink inputs.

I currently have my HD Cable box hooked up to component 1, and it is hooked up to the TOSLink audio in.

I have my Wii's Component cables on order, and they will be hooked into the DVR (labeled for now)Component input.

I am going to be getting a Blu Ray player sometime in the near future.

I wanted to know if I could use the HDMI out to the TV, and go audio from the player to the receiver, via coax, or would I have go HDMI to the TV and then From the TV to the Receiver, via coax?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yes, your first assumption is right. You can use the HDMI cable for your video and use the digital coaxial for audio, straight from the player to receiver.

3. mbenson

mbenson Member

Thanks a Million. I'm still very new to HD technology. I get the basics, but am still working on what is the best solution for certain situations.

Thanks again,

-Mike

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Also, if you have a receiver that can decode these new HD audio formats, you will want to use HDMI for audio. Toslink and digital coaxial don't have the bandwidth to carry the audio signal.

5. mbenson

mbenson Member

My TV has 3 HDMI, and 2 Component, but unfortunately, my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs. It has 1 coax, and 2 TosLink connections. I am kinda in the ditch on that end. I just bought the receiver, a Yamaha HTR-6030 600 watt A/V receiver for $100 about 3-4 months ago (I just got my TV about a month ago). It has all of the above as far as audio plus a few other audio options, which I don't use. I figured the cost was worth it. I guess I should have thought it out, cause I would have just waited and paid a bit more later to get one with HDMI inputs. Ah well, live and learn. Maybe I can sell it. Who knows.

6. mbenson

mbenson Member

I just thought.. It has a multi channel input. Can I put that to use and get better audio results from a Blu Ray player? And do Blu Ray players come with multi channel outputs? I will have to look around to see.

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea, they should have 5.1 analog outs or maybe even 7.1 analog outs. That method will give you the HD audio formats.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  8. mbenson

mbenson Member

Very nice. I think that's my answer, then.

Thanks a million.

9. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008