1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you tell the difference between DVD-5 & 9

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rgf, May 3, 2003.

1. rgf

rgf Guest

by looking at the cover? I'm looking at The Spy who Shagged Me (7 or 8 gigs, DVD-9 dual layer) and Groundhog Day (4.3 gigs).

I can not visually tell a difference between them by looking at the cover. I think right now I would prefer to backup only 1 DVD movies. Any ideas?

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Most newer DVD's are multiple layer, or DVD-9.
    I would guess that with Grounhog day being about 10 years old, they didn't put Dolby Digital or extra scenes or anything like that.

I also cannot see a video company putting any info that would identify that on their discs. That would be the equivalant of saying "This desc is easy to copy."

Now, just going over some of my discs, I notice "The Matrix" says the following: "DUAL-LAYER FORMAT Layertransition may trigger a slight pause." I've also noticed that most of my other dual layer discs make no mention of that.

So I believe there is no way to tell; especially since most will be dual layer now.

3. rgf

rgf Guest

Thanks again Ken. "Easy to copy?" I was merely interested in "back-ups".

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I was speaking hypothetically of course. Nobody on this board would ever be making a copy other than to back up our own DVD's. ;)

5. rgf

rgf Guest

I thought that is what you meant.

Now that I think I have sorted out IFOEdit, I've got to burn this bad boy. DVD Decrypter worked fine burning when it was basically a one to one backup. But it doesn't seem to recognize the ATI File Player Type (is that .VOB?). I'm not sure what to burn the DVD with. Any suggestions?

It doesn't appear (or I haven't found it yet) that anything that came with XP or with the Radeon 7500 All-in-Wonder wants to write these files to the DVD.

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Is this something you captured using your video card? Or are we talking about backing up a DVD?

I'm still trying to figure out the whole video capture thing; trying to get some of my VHS home videos onto DVD.

If you are still trying to back up a DVD, I use the following myself:

DVD Decrypter to Rip
    DVD2One to compress it down to under 4.7 GB
    Stomp RecordNow to burn (most people use Nero)

7. rgf

rgf Guest

I've got Nero going now. I guess it was there all along, just not obvious. We'll see how she does.

I haven't captured video (VCR/Camcorder) yet but I have recorded tv shows thru the cable. I have yet to burn either to DVD.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

8. rgf

rgf Guest

Well, I might be brain dead but not such a newbie any more. With the help here I have:

1) Backed-up a single layer DVD-5...basically a one to one copy with DVD Decrypter

2) Backed-up a dual layer DVD-9 to a single disk by copying the movie only. This was with SmartRipper, IFOEdit and Nero, and

3) Backed-up a looooooooong (3 hour) movie dual layer DVD-9 to two disks by splitting the movie. The movie uncompressed would not fit on one disk. This was also with SmartRipper, IFOEdit and Nero.

Not bad for a couple days, a little effort, some trial and error and PLENTY of wonderful advice.

Thanks all, this is a great site.

PS - From my experience, and contrary to what I have read (well intentioned I am sure), IFOEdit did not have any problem with my XP os. At least none I have found.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2003