1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot capture with virtualdub

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fehrion, Jan 10, 2004.

1. fehrion

fehrion Guest

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help in this matter? Have downloaded and extracted files for virtualdub on my Windows XP system and have followed the guide from VCDhelp.com regarding "capture to avi and converting to DVD". I jhave installed the huffyuv codec and am using that. I can do everything the guide tells me and I can see the picture in virtualdub's preview screen but when I press "begin capture" nothing happens and when pressing escape a message comes up telling me that no frames have been captured and I could try switching off overlay, reducing image size etc". I have tried doing all these but I still am not able to capture any files. Am I missing something?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well when useing Virtual Dub you should allways have it set to "Preview" and Not Overlay because VFW doesn"t support Overlay...If you can Not use Virtual-Dub to capture then it is probably because there is a problem with V-Dub accessing the WDM Drivers for your Capture Card and this is a very common problem but you can allways use "Virtual VCR" or "IU_VCR" to capture which are WDM capture programs and you will be able to use the same Codecs as in V-Dub....

3. fehrion

fehrion Guest

Thanks a lot for replying. I'll check out these programs and let you know how I get on.

4. fehrion

fehrion Guest

Have downloaded VirtualVCR and set it up. Seems good - though have only recorded short test recordings so far. I notice that it doesn't seem to remember my resolution settings. I set it at 720 x 576 (I think that was the setting - highest one anyway) and when I come back to the program after closing it and opening it again it always reverts to the lowest setting. I don't know whether this should happen or not. Also, files seem quite large (1 gig a minute) is this normal? What codec could I use to make files smaller? Will be trying it out tomorrow night for first proper recording.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well There Might be a Feature in there that will save the settings but I"m not sure...As for the File size it will be about 1 GB per minute if you choose to capture to Uncompressed AVI which does Produce the best Quality but the Files sizes are a Little too big especially if you don"t have the space to spare...If I were you I would use the "HuffYUV"" Codec ,It is a Lossless Codec so there is not Quality loss through Compression but the Files are still Pretty Big but still less than Half the Size of the Uncompressed AVI file sizes ,Probably about 400mb per minute...The only other Codec I would recomend for Capture would be the "PicVideo Mjpeg Codec" with the Quality on 19 or 20 ,This Codec has Much better Compression while still achieveing Quite good Quality and it uses Very Little CPU Power but the Quality of the HuffYUV codec is still better....

6. stardust

stardust Regular member

I use that 'PICvideo MJPEG Codec' very often for capturing, it has very good quality w/ efficient compression. When selecting 'Image Format' in 'Video Format' table, should I use 'YUY2' instead of '24bit RGB' when capture by Mjpeg? What differencies between these two formats?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  7. Minion

Minion Senior member

You Should allways use YUY2 because most capture cards Natively capture in this Colorspace and if you choose to capture in RGB then the codec has to convert the YUY2 colorspace comeing from your Capture device to RGB which can greatly increase the Load on the CPU and give you Less Quality because of the Colorspace conversion....