1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot find server

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by baileyk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. baileyk

baileyk Member

I have been working 2 days on trying to get my computer I need help..
    I have a gateway computer (host) and a linksys router upstairs...
    then downstairs i have a computer i just got on a gateway wireless
    (it is not a new computer) I know it works because the last computer I had worked and it was a lot older...my problem is the computer downstairs is showing connection but when i go to yahoo or msn i get cannot find server. I have been through the ipconfig and the ping and it is showing disconnect...but the little windows at the bottom of the computer is showing that i am connected with excellent strength
    but when i try to go online it says cannot find server what am i doing wrong

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

First of all when your wireless connection is saying that it is strong doesn't mean the connection to the world wide web is strong but rather the connection to your access point is strong.

Before I even try to troubleshoot this I need to have a clear idea of what your network is like. It sounds like you have at least two computers. One of which is wired and the other is wireless. You have a router by the sounds of it it is only wired. On top of that you have a gateway wireless which I have no idea how this all ties together. What kind of internet do you have (DSL, Cable, dial up)?

What is sounds like to me is that you probably don't have the internet running to the gateway wireless. You computer is connected to the wireless connection and there isn't any internet. What is the gateway wireless plugged into?

I'm assuming that your Gateway wireless is a device that sends out the signal for the wireless computer to connect to.