1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Format CDRW Disks

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by bmck, Jun 25, 2004.

1. bmck

bmck Guest

For some unknown reason I cannot get Direct CD or B's Clip software to format a CDRW. I either get some kind of error that the disk is bad or sometimes the process seems to have worked but when I try to add a file to the disk, it is not there after the drag and drop or copy process. Can someone help. Thanks, Bubba

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Give it a FULL ERASE first then a full format -- Direct Cd then should allow you to Copy/Paste files to your CD-RW.

3. bmck

bmck Guest

Thank you for the info. I neglected to mention I am running Windos XP Pro. I will try a full erase and a full format. In one instance, I did try a full format and it ran for nearly 2 hours. I eventually shutdown without completeing the process. Surely it should not take that long ??? Thanks.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

A lot of factor will vary the times it takes for you to fully format a blank CD-RW -- Best time maybe when you going out and can leave your PC on ;it takes nearly 2 hours on some PC's with DirectCd.

Nero and InCd is a bit faster and also have Format on the fly capability.

Good luck in your burning!

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Two hours is a bit long... but not unheard of. ... now if it's still running after 3 hours ... thats a whole different ballgame :)

6. bmck

bmck Guest

Just tried formatting a CDRW again and it ran for 3 hours and 15 min. so I shutdown. By the way, I can burn copies of CDRs without any problem. I'm using an LG burner and windows XP Pro. I am running version 5.3 of Easy CD Creator which of course has the Direct CD function. Can anyone suggest something else I might try ? Thank you for the feedback.

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

How about removing that Easy CD Creator and getting the trial version of Nero6 and InCd ??

8. bmck

bmck Guest

I have downloaded and installed the demo of Nero 6. Should INCD be part of this program or is it a seperate download. The "format" option does not appear in my Nero 6 ver. I was unable to find a full erase or full format option in my Easy CD Creator5 Basic. I have removed it for now . Wow, what an exercise in frustration. Thank you for your patience.

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

InCd is a separate item available on the Nero6 Download page -- bottom left corner of the jigsaw puzzle on the update page

""http://www.nero.com/us/nero-up.php""
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2004
  10. bmck

bmck Guest

Well this is turning in to a nightmare. I downloaded Nero 6 and INCD. I removed Easy CD Creator and B's Clip software. I disabled my anti virus software. Nero 6 and INCD apparently installed but the major INCD application file will not run at all. It is about 1395kb in size. The smaller file called INCDL will open but when I try to format a disk I get an error which says the disk may be scratched or faulty. I tried formatting twice with two different disks that are brand new. Hope your patience is greater than mine. The irony is, I was able to do this formatting without problem on my previous Pentium III running the same Windows XP version. Thank you for your help. I await your next suggestion.

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Dont have any more suggestions --- sorry --- perhaps someone who has access to your PC directly could help . There is a limit to what one can do when the diagnosis is done at a distance !

12. bmck

bmck Guest

Once again thank you for your efforts. I'm wondering if it might be that my LG burner is incompatible with Nero. I noticed in the list of LG burners that were supported, my GCC4521B model was not listed. anyway, thanks again.

13. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Am using an LG GSA4120B a DVD/CD burner with no problems; who has the best speed writing rating on the market now -->:
    Maximum Write Speed: 12x DVD+R, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD+RW, 4x DVD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW

Here's how you check if yours is accepted by Nero:

Click Nero -- Nero Tool Kit -- Nero Info tool , let it search your PC -- then look if your Drive is being recognized -- ! Should show with all the details .

14. bmck

bmck Guest

I checked the Nero info toolkit and it did recognize my CD and DVD drives. In system ASPI there are 4 .dll references, in Nero ASPI there is just one . Not sure if that is a factor or not. At any rate all the info re my drives, hardware etc. are mentioned. Thank you again.

15. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bmck...

this post is a few days old, so let me know if you still need help. I have a few ideas for you.

Concerning your ASPI, if you show a green bar at the bottom of Nero and System ASPI you are OK.

While you are in Nero Tools, check Configuration. Everything should show to be DMA On. If anything shows PIO, let me know.

16. Praetor

Almost -- Nero will show a green bar if the files are present -- but it doesnt check to see if the version numbers match -- which is (sometimes) a problem -- use the actual ASPICHK to verify if the ASPI is properly setup. For a quickie on ASPI visit www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI

17. bmck

bmck Guest

I checked the Nero Toolkit and the green bar is there and it indicates ASPI is okay. When I use INCD to format a CDRW, I get this error- "Error writing the disc. Please confirm that the disc is compatible with the drive and is not scratched or damaged ". The discs are new and appear to be undamaged. They are Memorex brand. Thanks bmck

18. Praetor

What's the speed on the RWs? What model is the drive?

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Could you all excuse me for a moment?

MOUNT RANIER!!!!

Hmmm!

now I feel better. You can check to see if you have it with Nero info tools. What is it?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/75

20. bmck

bmck Guest

The CDRWs are 4 X speed and my burner is an LG model GCC 4521B