1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Format CDRW Disks

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by bmck, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bmck...

I don't know where you are on this right now...?

I wanted to close the loop on some info I gave you previously about the ASPI...and which Praetor interjected with some important info. If you are still having problems, I would suggest updating your ASPI with ForceASPI. Here is a download link, and it also has a ASPICHK.exe program further down the page so that you can check the ASPI.
    http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

I would also suggest you visit the drive's mfgr site, and download the latest firmware upgrade.

The above things need to be in order whether or not you use Mt. Rainier...which is a very handy app.

2. bmck

bmck Guest

Thanks again to all who have tried to help with my CDRW formatting problem. I have just downloaded Forceaspi and will install it shortly. I will reply further results later. bmck

3. bmck

bmck Guest

Just installed Forceaspi17. Now when I go to the Format icon in Nero, nothing happens. I have downloaded an update for my LG GCC-4521B burner but will wait until I have someone more proficient to install. It mentions jumper settings etc. and I'm in enough trouble without messing up the entire system. If this was not enough, Nero Showtime will not play DVDs on my computer. I get an error saying the program cannot build a graph and maybe improper installation. I reinstalled, updated etc. etc. etc.nothing changes except more grey hairs. (probably off the topic). Other software plays DVDs fine. Nero fiddles while I burn (or try to).

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bmck

If you're running two Drives CD/DVD-Roms on the same cable you have to set master and slave. I recommend that you set your DVD burner as master.

[​IMG]

It is very easy to do this, just look at the diagram and set you drives jumpers as it is pictured.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bmck...

This is an ASPI problem that is easily fixed. You downloaded V 1.7 from AD. Go here to get V 1.8
    http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

Please read the instructions. There is a KILLASPI routine that will wipe the old ASPI before installing the new.

There is also a download on the V 1.8 page for aspichk.exe. Download that, and it will confirm that the ASPI install went OK.

Added On: This is a good time to bring up Nero's InfoTools. Open up that app before doing V 1.8, and check the ASPI. You will likely see that it isn't working. After you do the V 1.8 install, look at it again, and note the changes.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

7. bmck

bmck Guest

Forceaspi 18 installed but an error said it did not install. I went back to forceaspi 17 and reinstalled it. Aspicheck and Nero info tool kit indicate aspi is fine. This was the case before I tried to install the 18 ver. I have not changed the jumper settings yet. I guess the ball is still in my court. It seems with each step Ahead(pardon the pun) there are two back. Thanks for your patience. I see I am dominating the airwaves here by the number of posts.

8. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bmck...

'don't worry about the level of activity...we're just interested in getting you going again.

My opinion is that you should do your firmware upgrade next. This often resolves burner-related problems.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bmck

[bold]It mentions jumper settings etc. and I'm in enough trouble without messing up the entire system.[/bold]

If your jumpers are improperly set that can cause all kind of problems.

Open nero and choose info tool, then configuration and provide all of that information here.

10. bmck

bmck Guest

Victory at last re my "Cannot Format CDRW " problem. I downloaded the latest drivers for my LG burner and installed. Also set DVD drive as master. Seems to be fine now. Many thanks for the patience and persistence of a number of you. Much appreciated.

11. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Glad to hear it worked out for you. And thanks for getting back and closing the loop on this.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Glad to hear its all working.

13. sheethead

sheethead Member

Post was deleted, misread original problem

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004