1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot get 701MB AVI file converted, burned, and READ by DVD player

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by avinightmare, May 26, 2012.

1. avinightmare

avinightmare Member

I have done multiple searches, read threads, downloaded several free programs (i.e. IMGburn, DVD Flick) and have ended up with lots of space on my computer gone and a grip of ruined un-playable DVD's. I normally use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to copy my own DVD's with no problem. This time I want the same results with my source being an AVI file. I am about to give up, desperate for help. So usually Shrink or Decrypter will make an ISO out of my disc and decrypter will burn it. Ive tried to make ISO files out of this avi file. IMGburn actually made an ISO file out of it but after I loaded it into dvd decrypter and burned it (everything looked normal and as it has before) all my DVD players said it could not read the disc i.e. error. I feel like this should be crazy simple but Im not getting the results. who has had success using all FREE programs?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. attar

attar Senior member

If your source is an AVI and you wish to convert it to standard DVD format, you have to use the likes of DVD Flick to convert the AVI files to DVD format first - then you can burn the disk.

3. avinightmare

avinightmare Member

It's crazy because it'd the wierdest thing. When I use DVD Flick for this project (only downloaded it for this project imparticular) I rip an ISO file from the avi no problem> I then open DVD decrypter locate and load the ISO and burn it to the DVD+R. I put it in the DVD player and it starts to play and 3 minutes in there is a little stutter and the audio is offset from the video. If you dont do anything and let it run it will be offset for the entire movie however, if after the stutter happens i pause or stop the video then press play the video catches up and is fine. I have done this twice with the same exact results/problems. I AM TOTALLY BAFFLED. When I play the original AVI file there is not even a hint of a stutter or offset anywhere. So I guess I need a suggestion for another FREE program that will create an ISO file from an AVI file. H.E.L.P. obviously desperate for suggestions / ideas.

4. attar

attar Senior member

When the disk is played back on the PC, what happens?

5. avinightmare

avinightmare Member

When i put the burned disc in the PC there is no hint of that or any other glitch or subsequent video/audio offset just like the original avi file.

6. attar

attar Senior member

My experience has been that when a DVD is burned and plays ok on the PC, but fails on a standalone player, then it's the media that's at fault (this assumes that the player is getting the type of disk that's spelled out in the owners manual (E.G DVD-R or DVD+R etc).
    A consistently good DVD blank media is Verbatim brand disks that say 'Advanced AZO' on the package (not the Value Series) and burned using ImgBurn at a moderate speed.

7. avinightmare

avinightmare Member

yeah idk if it had the Advanced AZO label but its a DVD+R 1-16xspeed 4.7gb from the TDK brand i don't think thats a value series but Im not sure. When you say the media that's at fault, you mean the DVD+R right; because the avi plays with no problems as the original computer file.

8. attar

attar Senior member

I think the problem is the media - the disk.
    No single manufacturer makes 'TDK' - so the quality varies.
    The only way you can pin it down is to use a known good disk that has been burned using ImgBurn.
    That way you eliminate two possible reasons for problems.

The Manufacturer ID for this disk is MCC 03RG20.
    This code is associated with disks made by or for Verbatim:they are known to be consistently good.
    Different disk makers have different codes.

[​IMG]