1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot launch programs

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by deadlion, Mar 17, 2007.

1. deadlion

deadlion Member

Problem= I have windows XP home. Yesterday I ran misconfig and deleted a fair number of programs which launched at startup. Later that night I noticed that when I tried to switch users the normal windows welcome screen wasn't showing but a large box with strange lettering, almost like hiroglifics, which could not be deleted. If I pressed ok the box disappears and the normal users welcome screen shows. I can access my desktop, the internet, my documents and media, but none of my programs will launch. The appearence of the desktop shortcuts to these prgams has also changed. They're much fainter and have a small box beside each instead of the icon usually associated with that program. Futhermore, my control panel will not not allow me to either run misconfig ( to recheck all the boxes I've unchecked ) or to do a system restore. I'm baffled and don't know what I've done or how to undo it. Can anyone help?

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

do a system restore to to the day before you started having the problems and everything should be fine